Dewalt.jpg

DeWalt has introduced the DW718, the next step in the evolution of their line of miter saws. It boasts the largest cutting capacity of any of DeWalt’s current sliding miter saws.

The 12″ blade can cut 2″ by 16″ at 90 degrees, and cuts up to 2″ by 12″ on a 45 degree angle. With its double bevel capacity, you can cut compound angles on crown up to 11-1/4″. DeWalt also has created an optional laser guide to increase accuracy on these mammoth molding cuts.

Some features will remind you of past models: the stainless steel detent guides at common intervals, a cam lock handle to lock in at any degree, and the high back fence that slides out of the way for large bevels.

With street pricing around $560, it’s a large investment, but the increased cutting capacity could very well justify it.

DW718 [DeWalt]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

7 Responses to Monster Miter Saw

1. jeff says:

I’ve used a couple of their previous models and they rock. I can definitely attest to their quality. They get stuffed in the bottom of the job box and hauled around to the next big project and still cut like champs.

2. Simon says:

I used the smaller version of this and it worked flawlessly.

3. Julian Tracy says:

Where have you guys been? I had to look at the date of the posting…

These saws have been out for almost 2 years now. I have one and it is pretty damn sweet – although it gets a few knocks on the forums for some rough castings, and it’s said that the older 708 is more accurate.

I bought it cause it weighs about 55lbs and isn’t as large as an aircraft carrier like the Bosch 12″.

Street pricing is not $560 though – at Lowes and at HD it’s been as high as $679, although now down to $599 or so.

Costco has en with the $200 Dewalt mitersaw stand for about $650 or so.

The laser is very handy but will be all wacked out the minute you move and travel with the saw so you have to re-calibrate it for every job – so on important stuff I do that, but for regular stuff I don’t fool with it.

The yellow edged blade that comes with it is major league crap – in fact all the Dewalt yellow edge blades suck – they are a major waste on money. Bottom line on 12″ saw blades – if you didn’t spend $65 or more, it’s probably a waste of money. (That doesn’t count for great deals though)

Or, just realize that Home Depot doesn’t sell any good blades (although some folks have been happy with the Gold ridgid blades.

JT

4. l_bilyk says:

I’ve said it before, the 708 was a better saw in it’s day. Aside from the rough castings, the pointer is gimpy, the detent over-ride is too small, the carriage lock is not conveniently placed, and dust collection is a joke.

5. Julian Tracy says:

True enough on all those points, but the laser – when set – is handy as all get out when doing complicated cuts like a finished stair stringer skirt with mitered ends to meet the finished risers.

And – the weight thing is one of the best features – this saw is easier to carry around than any other 12″ slider, and has the best cross cut capability.

One more negative – the crown stops that you have to buy for an add’l $30 kind of suck cause they don’t swivel out of the way when not needed. You have to completely remove them to do normal cutting.

JT

6. Trevor says:

I’ve been using a borrowed compound-bevel/slide Makita, the model directly equivalent to this one. Since I have to give it back (go figure) I decided to get a 12″ miter saw of my own — worst-case, I can resell it locally on Craigslist.

However, I didn’t get the DW718 dual-slide version, since the DW716 non-slider meets my needs at close to half the price. I picked up a new-in-box DW716 *and* the laser module for $365 shipped on eBay. A couple of $19 roller supports and an existing portable workbench will do me just fine, as sweet as the fully integrated $200 stand/support units look.

I’m still looking for solid recommendations on blades, though. I bought the combo pack of DeWalt blades for my buddy’s Makita (after dulling his original blade cutting Pergo) but the performance of the finish-cut blade has been OK at best. Even if I’m careful, I get quite a bit of tear-out when cutting finished pine baseboard moulding. Ideas?

7. mohammad says: