Jabsco_Pump1.jpg

Now you can drain toilets or fill a fountain with your drill — and Jabsco’s drill-powered pump. You simply attach the built-in 1/4″ diameter shaft to your portable drill, and pull the trigger. The self-priming pump does the rest. Jabsco’s pump can move 3-1/2 gallons per minute, and it even comes with 3/4″ garden hose adapters.

The drill pump will probably appeal to people looking for a middle ground between a wet/dry vac and a pricey standalone pump. Unlike flimsy prime-it-yourself pumps that cost half as much, Jabsco’s pumps won’t leave you high and dry when you least expect it.

Several distributors mention that a 1/4″ x 40″ dipstick probe is included with the pump to make it easy to drain engine oil through the dipstick tube. Since Jabsco mostly caters to marine and industrial customers, it’s not safe to assume you can use this on your car. You can also forget about pumping gasoline and other flammable liquids with this pump.

Caveats aside, for less than $30 via Amazon you get an excellent, portable pump that can even be cordless, depending on your drill.

Jabsco [Corporate Site]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

10 Responses to Jabsco Drill-Powered Pump

1. Jax says:

No no no no no.

I had a draper one of these “just in case” and I had to use it this very weekend as my boot filled with water, well this thing needs to spin really fast to get enough siphon going, but if you take it up to full speed for more than a few seconds it overheats and smokes, and going slow is not a option as it doesnt have enough suck to bring the water up hill. I guess if you were pumping DOWN from something it might be okay but otherwise just siphon the old way.

2. Matthew says:

I had some brand of these, and just found that I had to use a smaller tube than a garden hose on the upstream end in order to get it to prime itself. It was supposed to be designed for garden hoses, it just didn’t work well with them. But man, these are really wonderful to use generally. I leave my smaller tubing attached permanently to the input and just find a garden hose to use for the output whenever I need it. They really are so much easier to use than one of those shake-it-to-siphon hoses.
    I still wish I had a thing like my dad has, which is a hand crank powered pump when turned one direction and a hand crank started siphon when cranked the other direction. I think Black and Decker used to make them, but I haven’t ever seen one in any stores around here.

3. Michael says:

These things are toys for the gullible, they don’t pump any useful volume of liquid and they fail in short order. Avoid these and get a real pump.

4. TourPro says:

I’ve got an issue – my basement window is below grade and groundwater sometimes fills the window well.

I’ve got a permanent solution which involves asphalt, but that’s another story.

My previous method was a bucket and my wife’s emergency hand bilge pump for her kayak. Fill the 2 1/2 gallon bucket in about a minute.

I tried the drill pump, but could not get it to ‘self-prime’. I ended up putting the whole thing in the water and still it was darn slow. Faster drill maybe?

5. Rob says:

I don’t think any of my drills are rated for 100% duty cycle to run this pump for that long.

6. Pete Judd says:

I use one of these to change the oil on the boat. It works, but they don’t last very long,

7. Fred says:

I just tossed two Hawk brand drill pumps. Neither one worked out of the box. Took one apart and my expert opinion as an engineer and journeyman hydraulic repairman is that there was no way in hell they would ever work.

I wish this review had been here before I bought them. At least I can add my three thumbs down to this bad idea.

8. D. Simpson says:

I just wasted $12 on one of these “drill pumps”, a Home Plumber brand. It never moved any water, not from the place I needed it, under a mobile home, not from a bucket to the sink and not from a catfood can to a bucket. The only thing that moved was my drill, which began to overheat. I know there are small electric pumps on the market, because my plumber has one from Princess Auto and it works fine. But don’t waste your money on drill pumps.

9. Dan Patterson says: