Shear Sharp Sharpening Scissors

What do you do with dull scissors? Throw them out and buy a new pair? Try to hone them on a whetstone? Don’t bother — Accusharp makes an economical sharpener just for sharpening scissors, hedge clippers, tin snips, and other tools with similar blades.

Just draw the ShearSharp over each blade of your scissors, and the diamond-honed tungsten carbide blade produces new sharp edges. The ShearSharp fits comfortably in either hand and keeps your fingers safe with a full finger gaurd. Because it won’t rust, you can clean the ShearSharp with soap and water or use the dishwasher.

Is $6 too much to ask for returning your dull tools to working condition?

ShearSharp
[Accusharp]
Street Pricing
[Google Products]
Via Amazon(B0001WOVFC) [What’s This?] [What’s This?]

9 Responses to Keep Your Shears Sharp

1. The spyderco sharpmaker does a great job on scissors, too.

2. Rob says:

Scissors are even easier to sharpen than knives because they don’t rely solely on the edge but the shearing action of the blades to cut. Just use a whetstone, you do have a whetstone right? What kind of toolmonger doesn’t have a whetstone?

3. What kind of Toolmonger turns down the chance to buy a new tool?

I have a whetstone, but actually I don’t use it much, I use the scary sharp system with a honing guide on my chisels and plane blades, a knife sharpener on my knives (don’t forget the steel), and the special sharpener for scissors that came with my set of Fiskars. If I can buy a tool to sharpen something, I’d rather use that.

4. Jim K. says:

Has anyone here actually used one of these? I’d be curious how well they work. I saw the TV ad and figured they were junk like most of the “but wait there’s more” items, but then again…

5. jim says:

Have used a couple sharpeners similar to this. A great tool for slicing thumbs if you make an oops!

6. Hank says:

The method I use is cost-free and labor free.

Just use aluminum/tin foil. Tear off a good size sheet; fold it 2 or 3 times; then make full cuts into the folded tin foil at least 10 times, or more if it makes you feel better about it. It usually brings an edge back quickly.

Worked for me on all scissors except the ones that come with dull, flat blades with no original edge.

7. I’ve got Accusharp’s knife sharpener and couldn’t be happier… I can shave with my pocket knife I choose to.

If this is as good as their knife version, it should be worth every one of those $6.

8. anonymous says:

from personal experience: when used, quite a bit of metal bits are scratched off — one can sharpen an edge, but not without pitting and rippling the edge’s surface. over time, the pits tend to work like a pot hole that gets larger and larger in diameter. repeated use of this tool causes excessive damage to the edge of the blade. however, this is a great tool for sharpening “disposable” tools like scissors and low-cost knives. for mid-cost and higher priced knives, do not use this sharpener.

9. Rob says:

Benjamen, I looove to buy new tools but my wallet doesn’t 😉 In order to stretch my tool buying dollar, I multi-task my tools where it makes sense. I also like having the skills in case the easier version isn’t available when I need it.

As far as scissor being disposable, you’ve obviously not spent $100 on a good set of shears.