Combo Hammer.jpg

You’ve probably seen these hammer/screwdriver combination tools — maybe in your junk drawer, or by the cash register at your local hardware store. Drillspot.com is running a deal that gets you a dozen of these things for less than $2 each, complete with a fancy “Art Nouveau” finish.

The claw hammer serves mostly as decoration — it’s a bit hard too swing. The screwdrivers only come in progressively tinier sizes. That being said, think of the satisfaction of being able to lend these out, and not being sad if they don’t come back. They’re perfect for giving away for IKEA furniture assembly, or to some poor tool-less soul.

Hammer/Screwdriver Combo [Drillspot.com]

6 Responses to Cheap-Ass Tools: Dozen Hammer/Screwdriver Combo Tools For $40

1. Aaron Baca says:

You’re kidding right? I wouldn’t give these to anyone I wanted to keep as a friend.

2. PutnamEco says:

Yup, give them away quickly, preferably to some one you wish not to hear from again.

3. Matt says:

I would prefer to see quality tools rather than tools like this. I come to this site to find better tools or to learn about tools. Posting good tool deals is great, but this is not a good deal. Any amount of money for a hammer that can’t be used is too much, unless you can make money on the scrap metal.

Please spend your efforts trying to find high quality tools.

4. anonymous says:

all the above comments are sound. furthermore, this sort of “it’s ok to buy crap if you give it away” mentality reeks of consumerism and wanton wastefulness.

imagine the natural resource loop on this little hammer/nesting-screwdriver sets:

long after the iron, copper and other metals are mined, smelted, refined, alloyed and shipped for use in manufacturing, your gift destined for hapless “friends” must be manufactured and assembled in China and then loaded into shipping cartons and taken to the docks for shipment across the Pacific to the US, where they are trucked across the country to a warehouse and from there shipped to drop-sorting points and finally, in small cartons, delivered to your local hardware store where you buy a few as “almost-gag-gifts” for your “pals”, who receive them with false grins and empty thanks only to loose some of the screwdrivers after letting the kids tinker with it but later locate at least one of the screwdrivers and the hammer, and then, with not even a gram of guilt they are tossed into the garbage that’s put out on the curb and picked up by the city refuse collectors who take it out to the unincorporated part of the county where the waste disposal facility is located, and here is where the truck unloads it’s mountain of waste matter that is later smoothed out by a huge front-loader with enormous wheels that roll over the foot-upon-foot of post-consumer “stuff” that is made up of unused, unwanted and un-cared-for products and somewhere, under the hulking mass of the bulldozer, lies the still shiny “multi-tool” that was, as first considered, in the end, garbage after all.

5. ToolFreak says:

Oddly enough, they apparently do make this stuff just to be bought and thrown away.

6. Mo says:

I can’t believe all these macho, tool freaks above and their totally negative comments. I grew up with one of these little hammers in our kitchen drawer. It ALWAYS came in handy …. not for big jobs, but you’d be surprised to know there are actually little jobs that need being done around the house as well and this little hammer can take care of them all! When I got married, many years ago, I bought one for our first home and my husband laughed his head off at me. Then, one day, I saw him grab it to hang a picture for me. Then, and soooooo many times thereafter, he would grab that little tool and do all sorts of little jobs with it. My kids are all grown, married and have children of their own and they all remember the “little hammer” with the screwdrivers in it. I’m gonna put one in each of their stocckings this Christmas …. and I know there will be many, many smiles!