saw.jpg

Proxxon’s FKS/E table saw may look like a toy, but it’s a fully functioning miniature table saw.  When you’re making a scale model, a tiny error can be like flubbing a cut by a whole inch at full scale. To help model makers make exact cuts, Proxxon has been building precision power tools like this one for 30 years .

The FKS/E’s blade has a diameter of only 3”, but you can adjust the blade height anywhere between 1/32″ and 1″. With a variable speed adjustment, its ultra-quiet high-torque motor can muscle through a variety of materials. You can angle the blade for cuts up to 45 degrees. With the built-in extension wing, it can handle pieces up to 19-5/8” long. And it all fits into a package about the size of three reams of copy paper.

Despite the FKS/E’s scaled-down size, it doesn’t come with a scaled-down price. Street pricing is around $340.

Proxxon [Corporate Site]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

9 Responses to Tabletop Table Saw

1. Hello Moto says:

I have to ask,

If you’re a modeler would it be better to work on one of these, a high quality table saw that is full sized? (Bigger saw on bigger budget)

Basically, is a smaller saw better at making smaller parts, or do most people just go to cheap on the full size saw?

2. Dan Kitchen says:

Personally, I think you’ve got two different concerns when considering a tool like this one.
    First, sometimes the right scale tool is the best for the job. If all you need to do is drill a few holes once and while a good 12 volt cordless is going to be better for you then a good 24 volt cordless. Personally, I have a variety of tools for different sizes of projects, and I’m comfortable with certain ones for certain projects.
    Secondly, modelmaking can be considered a “small” hobby for some. They might be making model ships because they can’t afford or take on full size boatbuilding. So this tool fills a niche for quality power tools on a very manageable scale. This thing isn’t much bigger than a CPU tower on its side.

3. Chris Ball says:

Scale is everything. The width of the guard on this saw isn’t much different from the blade kerf on my full size table saw. And I do not think I would be comfortable at all working with pieces that are a couple square inches on my real saw. Kinda like saying an eight inch angle grinder can do the same thing as a dremel. A band saw may be a passable alternative but this feels like it was designed for the German market (and possibly the Japanese as well) and as a rule they don’t have the extra space we North American’s are used to (A cottage walking distance from their home but no shop).

4. PutnamEco says:

Hey isn’t that like the Micro Mark Microlux, only cheaper? I wonder who cloned who?

5. Fred says:

Proxxon is a German-based company:

They seem to cater to the hobby market – with scaled-down tools.

The Microlux brand – seems like the MiniTool brand – which I read were manufactured by or for Bohler – another German company.

6. Chris says:

Hi. I have this table saw and I use it in the process of guitar building. I Love this tool. It is very accurate and very well made.

7. Bjoern says:

Yeah..that is a german based company…dealing with far eastern imports like everyone else, so the quality isnt excactly German!
    Apprehensive in terms of procuring the microlux/FKS table saw, after reading rewiews where the customers were met with some semiserious concerns regarding the alignement/precision delivered. You really expect a clean and straight cut from the smaller hobby table saws, because that is the ONLY reason you are getting one. So, i wish there was a top notch miniature table saw out there not letting people down, and needing to open it up to do the job of the manufacturer and setting it straight just aint my cup of coffe…in. Shame shame shame.

8. This mini saw is an asset to my workshop. The size, and accuracy is what I was looking for. It has great for making small components.

9. Jimmie Fender says:

I have been looking at the mini tables saws for a while now but havent had the will to part with $500 for one and all the accessories . I currently use a band saw for thin kerf precision cuts. Do you think the saw would justified.