Sno-Off1.jpg

Sick and tired of cleaning your car’s windshield the morning after a snowstorm? I sure was, so I ordered a Sno-Off windshield cover. The premise is simple: you put the cover in place before a storm, then peel it off afterward to reveal a clean and clear windshield underneath.

The manufacturer offers several sizes, so be sure to select one that matches or exceeds the dimensions of your windshield. Suction cups attached to the cover help hold it in place on your windshield, but more than a few reviews declare them to be ineffective. Tabs on both ends of the cover close in vehicle’s front doors, though, and prevent the cover from flying away in the wind, discouraging all but the most determined thieves to boot.

One note: don’t let the manufacturer’s claim of this cover’s “tough, weather resistant polyolefin” impress you. This just fancy talk indicating that the product is vinyl.

At $6.70 for the “jumbo” and “standard” sized covers, it seems to me that it’s worth a shot — especially if it indirectly saves me someone from breaking more squeegee brushes this year. If you order from Amazon, be sure to use promo code SAVE15AE to save 25%, which nets you the $6.70 price.

Auto Expressions [Manufacturer]
Product Info (pdf) [Auto Expressions]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Standard Size Via Amazon [What’s this?]
Jumbo Size Via Amazon [What’s this?]

11 Responses to The Sno-Off Windshield Cover

1. James says:

Classier than the cardboard boxes held in place by the windshield wipers that I see here.

2. RevRagnarok says:

Don’t waste your money. I got one as a gift a while back. Basically, take a razor to a nice thick lawn waste bag (black is best it absorbs the heat) and cut it along the two sides, giving you a large single sheet. Pull it tight against the window (wipers lifted) and close it in the front doors. That’s all the one was that I had previously, the “magnets” were useless and I don’t think the suction cups will help much when the wind picks up.

3. bill says:

I had one of these while living in the upper peninsula of Michigan w/o a garage. I’ve got to say it’s a great idea that works well, but you do have to close it in the doors, ignore other methods. or DIY FTW. Either way, a great idea if you get a lot of snow/frost.

4. Eric Dykstra says:

I agree with senior McAngryPants, just buy a tarp. I cut one up one and glued on some neodymium magnets glued on to keep it in place. I don’t have to do any scraping and my wiper blades don’t freeze up.

5. stephen colbert says:

Eric and McAngryPants are close but what about the rest of the windows that you need to see out of in winter? I am cheap too but I bought an 8’x10′ tarp and a set of plastic covered bungee cords (don’t scratch the paint) for

6. I live in an apartment and can’t afford the space to store full size tarps, or even the sized available at the local hardware store. Besides that, with how much I’ve been ordering online for the holidays for myself and others, an extra $6.70 via amazon is a lot easier to justify than the gas and effort it would take to find a nice sized tarp locally. Hopefully my new Sno-Off won’t let me down.

I do like the idea of a large tarp and bungee cords though – I’ll keep that in mind for the future. You guys suggested some pretty great tips!

As for side windows, I guess they’re less work to clear so less of a priority is given to shielding them. A good pre-applied coat of rainx helps snow and ice just slide off with great ease. I always had issues with my front windshield due to the shallower angle.

7. Wayne D. says:

Even better tip! Move to Arizona like me!

8. Jaxx says:

the best thing to use is a big piece of cardboard your last purchase of chinese tools came in, you know shiny on one side and soft on the other, the shiny side keeps the wetness off better than just a plain box.

cheaper than a tarp too

eg free.

9. Rick M. says:

A warning about the covers you close in the doors. I did this with my Windstar and rainwater followed the cover and filled up the fuse box under the dash. Shorting lots of stuff out and van had electrical problems thereafter.

10. Susan Mano says:

love it trying to find another one