Dyson Root 6 Hand Vacuum

While they can indeed clog up (as we demonstrated), Dyson’s line of vacuums are definitely has the coolest looking ones on the market today. They’re also among the priciest.  However, the Root 6 is available at Linens N’ Things for $120 right now. Just enter the code “NOV2907” to get the 20% discount.

The Root 6 is tough and durable and recharges up to 3x faster than other vacuums. It provides six minutes of powerful cleaning, and an LED battery indicator tells you when it’s going to crap out.  Via the patented Dyson “cyclone technology,” it collects dirt and dust in the 0.8 liter an-hygienic (and quick-to-empty) container.  It also comes with a two-year warranty and combination accessory tools.

Root 6 [Dyson]
Dyson Root 6 [Linen N’ Things]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

13 Responses to Dealmonger: Dyson Root 6 Hand Vacuum For $120

1. Mike says:

Actually, the Linens N Things site has it for $99, no code.

2. There’s another coupon code that might work a few days longer than the one posted, “FAVE07.”

Stephen, Mike, thanks for the headsup – the Root6 is in fact $99 from LNT, and with coupon it’s only $80 plus tax for store pickup – a great discount over its $150 street price and $133 Amazon price.

Now the internal debate – do I want or need this to replace my trusty dustbuster, or should I just get a small wet/dry vac for a fraction of the cost.

3. McAngryPants says:

I’d rather get the mini dewalt vac that uses the 18v batteries

4. Kelley Nelson says:

Check the reviews before jumping on this one, I read that the runtime is very short – five minutes?

5. Brau says:

This decade’s techno-junk. Reviews indicate poor quality, plastic parts break, dust bucket falls off and doesn’t maintain suction any better than a bag-filtered one at much lower prices.

6. l_bilyk says:

Dyson vacs are junk. Nothing revolutionary about them. The only difference here is that the air isn’t filtered by a dust bag that fills up with debris, but rather has a filter that is suspended above a chamber that collects dirt. This is of course pretty much the standard in any wet/dry vac ever made.

7. I_bilyk, I’m not sure if you mean just the portable vacs or all Dyson’s Vacs. If you are saying that all Dyson’s are junk, I would have to disagree. My upright is a beautiful piece of engineering that actually does what it advertises. I can take just about the whole vacuum path apart without tools if anything gets stuck in the air path. I’ve used it for three years, vacuuming the whole house twice a week (My wife and I have bad allergies), and the thing works like it was brand new. I haven’t had to ever buy a filter or bag.

That said I wasn’t very impressed with the root 6 when I got my hands on it in the store. I was going to buy a root 6, but after reading a comparison in Popular Mechanics about a year ago I bought the B&D PHV 1800 for a third the cost instead. It work’s well, but it’s not designed to be fixed, I had a bugger of a time replacing the little flap that keeps dirt from coming back out after it fell out.

The five minute run time thing is overblown, are you going to vacuum your whole house with this thing or use it for spot jobs?

8. Zathrus says:

Ben, sorry, but I’m with bilyk here — Dyson’s are vastly overpriced for what you get. I wouldn’t say they’re junk, but they’re no better than a decent Hoover or other brand, while being 3x the price. I have a 7 year old vacuum and a 12 year old vacuum that work just as well as when they were new. I’ve just had to replace the belts, which was pretty trivial for both.

As for bag vs bagless, it’s a personal choice; bag vacs generally work better for pet hair and they don’t cause a mess when you remove the bag (unless you overfill the bag, which I nearly always do… oops!). Bagless are cheaper in the long run and don’t mean you have to keep a stock of the “right” bag. They both clean equally well.

And a 5 minute run time is a deal killer — no, you’re not vacuuming your house with this thing, but you are vacuuming up a car or work area with all the nooks and crannies. And that’s 5 minutes when brand new — how long is it in a few years when the batteries start to sag?

9. Fong says:

I’ve owned half a dozen vacuum cleaners in my adult life starting from the bagged ones to bagless and even a few steam cleaners. My Dyson upright is top notch. Like Benjamen, I also marvel at the engineering that had gone into it and literally spent the first 20 minutes out of the box just taking it apart and looking at all the snaps and seals.

My first comparison test was vacuuming a 50 squarefoot section of carpet with my old vac (a Eureka bagless upright). Right afterwards, I went over the same area with the Dyson and was shocked at how much more the Dyson picked up after the fact. Upon closer examination of the loot, I noticed something else….cat hair. There hasn’t been a cat there in 3.5 years. I’m sold.

I’ve played with the Root…it feels weak, seems a bit heavy, is rather bulky for tight spots, and way overpriced.

10. Doug Bartlett says:

These Dyson’s are the biggest piece of @#$^ we have ever bought. They constantly clog up and the plastic pieces break left and right. The slim model is junk and the hand held dies in 4 minutes of cleaning. Who can clean up big messes in 4 minutes? Do yourself, and your pocket book, a favor and buy a hoover. I am so fed up with this Dyson junk I think I am going to melt them down.

11. K Wrinkle says:

I wonder if Benjamen Johnson is still around to answer a question. How the heck did you get the flap back in the B&D handheld? A bugger of a time must be an understatement…

12. K Wrinkle: Not only am I still around, but I’ve written 350+ posts since then. 🙂

I don’t remember exactly how I got the little flap back in the B&D in, but looking at the vacuum again I know I removed the three screws under the nozzle connecting the blue plastic to the clear plastic, and the six screws on the underside of the nozzle.

At that point I thought the nozzle would come off, but I couldn’t find how that was going to happen. So I pried the nozzle apart as far as I could go without breaking it. I don’t remember what I did next, but I probably put the flap in through the clear cyclone section and nudged it into place through the gap I created by separating the two parts of the nozzle.

I have to say when I first bought the vacuum it was great, but now after 1.5 to 2 years, the battery won’t hold a charge worth a damn — just like all B&D’s other Dustbuster products, except in this one the battery isn’t meant to be replaceable. Figuring out how to replace it and if I can get a new battery for $20 or less is on my list of projects.

I also have to say the B&D PHV 1800 is loud. So loud that if I use it in confined spaces, say to vacuum my dog’s crate, my ears start ringing.

13. reuben says:

i only get 3 to 20 seconds then mine cuts out? dont want to call it crap but it has this hiccup?