EZ Grip Friction Drops

The next time you’re struggling to remove a screw with a damaged head, instead of reaching for a screw extractor, you might want to give EZ Grip Friction Drops a try. The manufacturer claims that one drop on the damaged screw head will increase the gripping force enough to remove the problem screw. Their secret? Thousands of hardened aluminum cubes suspended in a carrying agent give EZ Grip Friction Drops gripping power. The aluminum cubes “provide a temporary bridge between the tool and stressed fastener heads.”

EZ Grip Friction Drops come in three different grades: commercial, aircraft, and marine. In the commercial and aircraft grade drops, the aluminum cubes are suspended in a non-toxic, food-grade antifreeze. The aircraft grade meets five different ATSM and Miltary standard tests. In the marine grade, the hardened aluminum cubes are suspended in a blend of non-toxic oils instead of antifreeze.

One 3oz bottle of the commercial grade EZ Grip runs $17 directly from Holt International. If you need either the aircraft grade or the marine grade, they’re more expensive at $19 and $20 respectively. And if you really like the stuff, you can plunk down about $200 for a case of 12 bottles.

EZ Grip Friction Drops [Manufacturer]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

11 Responses to A Screw Extraction Tool In A Bottle: EZ Grip Friction Drops

1. PutnamEco says:

Gee, I thought that’s what they made valve lapping compound for.

2. Nick Carter says:

Here’s a cheaper solution:
    1) spit on the end of your screwdriver
    2) dip tip in the abrasive dust under your bench grinder
    3) remove screw

3. Hey Nick, does that actually work?

It would be interesting to compare EZ grip to other methods, put that on the Ginormus list of things I would like to do.

4. SlowJoeCrow says:

This type of product has been around for a while. I tried some in the early 90s and ended up using an EZ-Out after it failed. When woorked in a tool repair shop and we were forever stripping out Phillips heads, we just drilled the heads, finished disassembling the tool and took out the remains with vicegrips.

5. Nick Carter says:

Yup, I use that (admittedly disgusting) trick on every hard to remove screw I come across.

6. Lloyd Elliott says:

I have use this product on Military Aircraft and it is awsome. EZ Grip not only works but is a time saver. I would recommend to anyone! IT WORKS!

7. Been using it occasionally for years, and still on my first bottle. The little bottle is a lot more portable than a bench grinder. 😉

8. Rob says:

Dang, now I have to save my bench grinder dust?! Great tip Nick!

9. larry says:

Aircraft Grade screw removal and non aerospace applications

10. Robert Blackmon says:

When I worked on helicopters in the Army we used the spit+abrasive method but we used comet type cleanser, we all kept a small container of it in our toolboxes and it was a real lifesaver.

11. Justin R says:

I’ve tried everything I could find to help remove stripped screws… I was skeptical of the friction drop method.
    However, after trying it, I can tell you a huge fan! Spit/abrasive, valve grinding compound, and any other DIY friction drops are NOTHING compared to EZ Grip.
    Just to test, I stripped a Phillips screw until it was absolutely GONE, just a tiny bowl left with no channels for a screwdriver to catch on whatsoever, and with a couple drops of Ez grip and slow, heavy pressure from a a drill with Phillips bit and IT CAME OUT!! Amazing!!

To test try this….
    Take your grinder wheel abrasive or any other concoction and put it between two flat, hard objects (two metal plates, two coins, etc) and slide the parts against each other, the grinder wheel abrasive will definitely add friction, but the part will still slide, take a few drops of Ez grip and do the exact same thing and you’ll be amazed when under pressure (pushing the parts into each other) you try to slide them and they are LOCKED IN PLACE.

This stuff really is amazing, it’s no gimmick and I can Whole-heartedly tell you that it is completely superior to any other grinder wheel dust/valve grinding compound method…. There’s no comparison! I now have the Aircraft and Marine version… Basically the marine is oily and sticks on stuff a lot better (for wet use) where the aircraft easily wipes away or dries out after a while, no need to clean tools after just wipe excess and that’s it… Whereas the marine version needs to be washed with soap and water to remove totally.