fasteners.jpg

Some of the best lessons I learned in the shop I’ve learned the hard way — namely by screwing projects up. Take auto interior panel removal for instance. The first time you try not to break the little plastic fasteners that hold most interior panels in place. But after the first time, you don’t care. You just rip ’em out and get new ones.

These little fasteners aren’t meant to be used over and over. They’re disposable and should be treated as such. You’ll save yourself a great deal of time — and the hassle of worrying if they’re going to break or not — if you have a few on hand to replace ’em when they fail.

Use a panel removal tool to pop them out, and push another one back in the hole when you’re ready to button the project back up.  A box of these costs about $2, so don’t be shy — get 50 of them. You won’t be sorry later on.

Street Pricing [Google Products]

8 Responses to Auto Panel Fasteners: Buy ‘Em, Don’t Save ‘Em

1. Tom Venanzio says:

It probably is a good idea to buy new auto panel fasteners, but have you ever seen the tool that pulls these out? My future father-in-law has one that he showed me recently. We were working on changing the door hinges for his Mustang and I noticed this cool little tool he has. It slides right under the head of the fastener, you squeeze the handle, and it pops it right out without damaging it. I guess it is good if you do a lot of work where you have to remove the fasteners all the time, like working on speakers, etc.

2. Dano says:

A putty knife will also work on door panels.

3. Dan says:

Sounds good, but the google link doesn’t bring me anywhere near $2 for a set of 50 of them. Anyone have an more direct link from somewhere reputable?

4. rob says:

I was a car stereo tech for 2 years at a shop
    I have removed 100’s of these and others like them with a good tool thee is no need to buy new and new id fine if you have a black interior but what it you have white or tan or grey

and I am yet to find source that has more than 5 in a pack that are the proper type for most cars normally you get a assortment of about 10 and 2 are useful while the package cost you $4

5. eschoendorff says:

Anytime I see fasteners of this type on sale – no matter the size or type – I buy them up. I have some nice Snap On removal tools, but I always prefer to use new fasteners whenever possible.

6. Dan says:

Thanks Frank Townend. Ordered!

7. Frank Townend says:

My pleasure Dan, enjoy.

Sorry my posting was so brief; I had all the size, type, model number, etc. information and hit the back button. Drat! So two links. I’ll be more complete (and careful) next time.