hot-or-not4.jpgxframe.jpg

A small workbench is where most projects in the home shop start. Even if you’ve built yourself a beautiful big bench, smaller foldable units like the Black and Decker Workmate are often extremely handy to have around. The problem with most of the old orange-and-black standbys is that they’re heavy and a pain in the ass to unfold and setup. The X Frame model Workmate from Black and Decker aims to ease some of that pain.

The X Frame is smaller and lighter than a standard workmate and boasts a 350 pound weight capacity — but that isn’t the good part. The X Frame opens like a TV tray for easy setup and tear down. We dig that.

The question, though: is the trade off of sturdy vs. light-and-easy really what you need in the shop? Let us know what you think in comments.

Street pricing starts at $30.

X Frame [Black and Decker]
Street pricing [Google Product Search]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

9 Responses to Hot or Not? Black & Decker’s X Frame

1. Colin says:

Hot… I have one and they are pretty useful for projects that take only a few minutes but don’t require a full set of sawhorses. I can set it up cut/drill/paint/etc… and then fold it right back up.

2. Lew says:

I like it!

I will put this on the Christmas list.

3. GearTester says:

Hot. I got one because it’s lighter and more compact than the big ones. I have a real workbench so just need the portability. It’s also the same height as a plastic sawhorse so the pair works well for sheets of plywood and long boards.

4. dan says:

i’m going with “not”

as a sawhorse, fine… but a workstation even for light duty stuff outside of the shop? nope. too flimsy for my needs. that it’s not US made is another drawback, for me…

5. Michael W. says:

Hot from a tag sale. I’ve seen this type go for around $5. HF had a cheapy version too.

6. Brau says:

Very, very useful for all those light duty tasks and easy to get out of the way when done.

7. RevRagnarok says:

I have one and love it, as a minor-project homeowner. HF has a cheap one, I have the B&D one that they always stock at their outlet stores for $20.

adm

8. Ken says:

Nothing like the full size B&D workbench and you’r right it is a pain in the ass to open and it is heavy.Look at the good side Where else could you add several inches to your bicepts just by using the workbench.
    I like the the B&D X frame. It is on my list.

9. Old Donn says:

Hot, maybe. I’ve got the much maligned old, heavy one, had it since they came out. Guess I never thought much about the weight, although it is a pain to unfold sometimes. The heft kept it in place while I worked on something. Not sure this new one will stay in place, hence the “maybe.”