In Use

006.jpg

The first order of business was to use the Superpencil for its intended purpose:  woodworking. We tried standard scribing of lines and measurement markers on different types of wood.

007.jpg   008.jpg

The Superpencil does make clear and dark marks on any colored wood. However, we did find a minor annoyance in that the closest we could get to a straight edge with the mark was around 3/16 of an inch — if you held the pencil the normal way. This wasn’t a show stopper, but coupled with the graphite that rubs off on your fingers where you grip the pencil, it was a bit frustrating.

009.jpg

One of the added bonuses of the Superpencil’s odd construction is the fact that you can draw lines of different widths with the flat end. Three different widths are easy to make by turning the pencil in your hand.

011.jpg   012.jpg   013.jpg

After a day of marking lines that were slightly off we couldn’t take it anymore. We brought out the razor knife and sharpened up an end. We were surprised at how soft the lead actually is. It was like carving frozen butter, which explained the bending issue earlier. Once sharpened, the pencil worked great. We could use the sharpened end to scribe accurate lines and the blunt end to heavy them up or write in measurements.

Read on to page three for our conclusions.

pages: 1 2 3

13 Responses to Hands-On: C.H. Hanson’s Superpencil

1. newguy says:

I just started using a mechanical carpenter’s pencil from Husky, Love it!

2. Tom says:

I don’t care if it lasts a long time, because any pencil I am using disappears as soon as I put it down.

3. Yuppers says:

Doesn’t seem like you could get a nice sharp line.

4. Chet says:

Well said Tom! I’ve never ended a project with the same pencil I started with….especially when my father-in-law helps out. “Hey I need a pecil, gimme yours!”

5. Steve Thompson says:

Um….wouldn’t sharpening the pencil be the FIRST thing you would do?

6. Tony Clifton says:

In re: the disappearing pencil mystery:

When I was in music school, I used to lose pencils all the time; everyone uses pencils to mark their music, take notes, etc. I’m pretty forgetful, so I’d leave pencils sitting in the practice rooms all the time, and I’d loan pencils out all the time and never get them back.

My solution was simple: I went to OfficeMax and bought an entire gross of relatively nice, solid wood, #2 pencils. It wasn’t very expensive (I think $6-7), and from then on I didn’t have to worry about pencils walking away on me, because at 4 cents a piece, who cares? Whenever I loaned pencils out, I told people to keep them; after a while, I noticed that I was losing fewer and fewer pencils.

7. Dave says:

I’ve done the same thing Tony, except I just grab a box of golf pencils. They’re short so they fit right behind your ear, pre sharpened, and nobody wants to steal them. If you’ve got the time to sharpen a whole bunch of pencils, then get the regular ones and cut them in half, then you have 2 gold pencil sized pencils, and one has an eraser. During college, I used a drafting lead holder almost exclusively. If you don’t make mistakes then you don’t need an eraser.

8. Ken says:

Hey Dave i just cut all the erasers off all the pencils in the house and it’s driving my other half nuts.I tell her i am perfect.

9. eschoendorff says:

Same here, Tony. Except the mechanical pencils were my weapon of choice in music school (still are). Bought a metric crap-ton of those.

10. I’m with newguy, I thik a mechanical pencil it the way to go, just buy a cheap multi-pack, and litter them all over your shop so you have one everywhere you look.

1) You also don’t have to worry about rolling because they have a pen clip.
    2) Wasting time sharpening pencils is a thing of the past.
    3) You can push the lead back into the pencil and use the metal barrel as a scribe.
    4) The small 0.5mm lead is great for accuracy.

11. David says:

I hate pencils, but I found a writing utensil that uses liquid graphite. It’s just like using ball-point pen, but with graphite instead of ink. Probably not the best woodshop item, but with its uses nonetheless.

12. Other tools you could use are PDA’s! Why bother with pencils when IT can help all the construction industry including sub contractors from estimating to managing staff!
    Check out http://www.xsien.com for some of the best construction management software available.