Third Hand Composite Picture

Fastcap’s third hand support may not be the cheapest support pole on the market, but it’s hard to beat a company that actually gives you instructions on how to shorten their product with a hacksaw! It’s unclear whether they honor their lifetime guarantee and no charge replacement parts after that operation, though.

The Fastcap third hand support has many uses. For example, it can:

• hold crown molding in place or drywall overhead freeing hands to secure it
  • apply pressure to glued down flooring while it dries
  • create a dust barrier by using supports to hold plastic sheeting in place
  • or serve as a load stabilizer in your truck bed — just wedge the third hand against the bed sides to keep loads from shifting during transport

The support’s height (or length) adjusts from 5′ to 12′ in three ways: you can adjust using the ball detents located every foot, you can pump the handle, and you can also screw the foot in and out. Capped with textured rubber pads, the ends are fully articulated with ball joints, and heavy-gauge steel and heavy=duty ABS plastic give the third hand support a 70 pound load capacity.

Amazon sells a pair of Third Hands for $70 and offers four with a carrying case for just $150. FastCap also offers a number of accessories that attach to the support, such as a mount for a laser guide and a larger, more stable foot.

As always, you can buy support poles for half the price at Harbor Freight — at your own risk, cheap-ass.

Third Hand Support System [Manufacturer]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s this?]
Via Amazon [What’s this?]
Cheap-Ass Knock-Off
[Harbor Frieght]

9 Responses to Give Yourself A (Third) Hand

1. Steve Thompson says:

I bought the cheap-ass knockoff a couple of days ago for 10 bucks. It’s got a little bit of plastic in the ball joints that attach the pads at the end, but still seems pretty sturdy. It’s already come in handy helping me mount a cabinet on the wall. Worked great.

2. McAngryPants says:

Cheap-ass is my middle name!!

3. Dano says:

Where did you find the cheap ones at? I want some for occasional use.

I have a Fastcap tape measure with the measurements on both sides and 5/8″, 3/4″, 7/8″, etc written on both sides too.

4. Chuck Cage says:

You’re in good company, everyone. Most of us are cheap-asses here at TM.

5. AJ says:

I bought the Fastcap, and lost the articulating feet. I called them asking to buy more and they sent me a set no charge. Now I snapped of the plastic handle of my Little Hand jack. It was probably my fault exceeding the weight capacity, but I’ll see if they’ll fix or replace it for me.

6. Hank says:

I bought the cheap ass big one at HF, and it was defective from day one. Didn’t have the cajones to call and whine.

Bought the full priced little one, and it has helped a lot from time to time.

7. Maffiou says:

Ah ah… I remember doing ceilings with full size BA13 plasterboards on my own… Believe it or not, I used an old fridge as my helper… I could work on one end while resting the board on the fridge on the other end… Just fine for allowing the boards to bend without reaching snaping point…
    Perfect for storing your beverages and sandwiches on the job… the compressor probably didn’t like it and gave up after about 6 months of intermittent treatment…

8. Michael Gloyd says:

I broke the handles off 2 of my 6 thirdhands [ they aren’t car jacks] Is there any way to replave the handles?