bucket.jpg

Keeping a set of jumper cables (and maybe a flashlight) is something we consider Toolmonger required. But you don’t necessarily have to just toss ’em in their to tear up grocery bags and scratch up your wood projects. The ever-popular Bucket Boss offers a cable bag that keeps ’em properly stowed — and offers room for a few vital tools, too.

The Bucket Boss 06100 Cable bag is made of sturdy nylon fabric, which should be tough enough to withstand the abuse of use. The main storage pocket is big enough to hold those monster two-gauge cables you’ve been meaning to get. And the bag includes two exterior pockets — as well as interior pockets — to hold other necessary tools (like that flashlight). It keeps everything compact and organized, and you can stash the bag behind a seat or even in the spare tire well.

Street pricing hovers around a cheap $20.

Bucket Boss [Main Page]
Street Price [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s this?]

12 Responses to Keep Your Jumper Cables Organized

1. Nice find, I used to have a smaller bag from bucket boss that only held jumper cables. I used to just carry my jumper cable coiled up under my seat, but they always found a way to sneak out and get in the way.

Unfortunately I destroyed that set of jumper cables and the bag in an accident involving an open case of beer forgotten for half the summer in my truck toolbox

2. This is the no-frills bag that Ben’s talking about:

The bag that Eric’s talking about has plenty of extra pockets for tools and the such.

Hmm… this looks like just the thing to store my pneumatic hoses and accessories in…

3. Toolaremia says:

An alternate zero-cost idea: Take an old pair of jeans, cut a leg off, invert it, sew the cut end up, turn it back inside-in, stuff your jumper cables in.

This little sleeve will be very tough, lasting for decades, and control your cables in a nice tube shape that is easy to fit into your spare tire wheel, under a seat, or in the corner of a trunk. My Mother made one out of a pair of brown jeans I hated when I was about ten, and 30 years later I still use the same sleeve (and cables). Room in there for a flashlight too.

4. Evan N. says:

I was at HF and saw a nice toolbag marked down to $5 from $10, but hesitated because I didn’t really have a use for it. Now I know what I should have bought it for.

5. Dano says:

I keep mine in a Rubbermaid box. In there is also some fix-a-flat, cheap socket set, rain-x, window cleaner, duct tape, hand cleaner, etc.

6. tim underwood says:

Mine are in an old bowling bag.

7. Eric Dykstra says:

I think Tim wins. Does it have a monogram?

8. Guy says:

I bought a couple of these from Duluth trading a few years back. Mine came in a nice tactical grey and black. I must say that these are fantastic. Now I can always find everything I need all in one place- reflective vest, gloves, flashlight, geber multi tool, 5in1 craftsman screwdriver, crescent wrench, pliers, and of course the jumper cables. Makes it real easy to secure your stuff with a colored cable tie, if you lend out your vehicle to “friends”.

9. Bugler says:

Kids’ book bags are great for storing jumper cables and other automotive stuff. I get them at thrift stores for a dollar or two.

10. My primary cables ride in the outside pocket of the blanket bag, bungied against the left side of the rear (not a trunk) hatchback area. The secondary cables (longer, thinner, stiffer insulation) occupy the annular space immediately inside the spare tire’s rim, below the rear deck. Within their coil also sits a jug of Pennzoil Rescue and a folding wheel chock rattleproofed by a wool hat.

Toolaremia, I’m having trouble picturing the pant-leg pouch, but I think I could figure it out if I sat down with some old jeans and scissors. In the meantime, that’d be good material for an Instructable, or a contribution to the photo pool. ­čÖé

11. Zathrus says:

I’ve always just stuffed them in the area under the trunk floor next to the spare tire. Done this with many cars and never had a problem with fitting them in.

Obviously not a solution for some types of vehicles, but SUVs, minivans, etc usually have other storage areas.

12. Handyman says:

I just use my (now adult kids) old school backpacks. They are durable, zippered and are into their second life at no additional cost!