CMT Balancing Blade and Sanding Disk

A ten inch disk sander’ll lighten your wallet at least $150. So why not turn your table saw into a disk sander for under $35 instead with CMT’s balance blade and sanding disk? Their disk mounts to saws with a standard 5/8 inch arbor and utilizes standard self-stick sanding disks. Sounds to me like a great way to pocket over a hundred bucks and gain valuable shop space.

CMT also markets this blade as a solution for squaring your table saw, but let’s be honest: it’s just as easy to square your table saw with a normal blade. There’s no reason to go through the extra step of mounting this blade to square the saw and then replacing it with the blade you are going to use.

The balance blade and sanding disk comes in eight and ten inch sizes. And if you look around, you can find the the eight inch version for about $20 and the ten inch one for $30. Self-stick sanding disks are not included.

CMT Blade Sanding Disk
[Manufacturer]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
8″ Via Amazon [What’s this?]
10″ Via Amazon [What’s this?]

12 Responses to Turn Your Table Saw Into A Disk Sander

1. Kurt says:

Possibly a silly question: Wouldn’t putting side pressure on your saw blade put it out of true? I know some people (I’m not one of them) that spend a great deal of time making sure that everything has fault tolerances into the billionth of an inch (I usually round to the nearest eighth 🙂 ) and it seems pushing on the side of a saw blade will likely knock it out of alignment a bit.

Or is that crazy talk?

2. Jake says:

I was thinking the same thing. Are arbors & bearings designed to have that sort of constant sideways pressure put on them? No, probably not. Then again, doesn’t really matter for that cheap worksite saw.

3. cpw says:

I’d be interested in more comments on these sideways pressure comments. i mean, I’ve been in lots of situations where something I’m cutting like 3/4″ ply puts sideways pressure on the blade (mainly because I shouldn’t be using the table saw to cut such a big piece). But it does not seem to throw my blade out of alingment…and I suspect a disk sander does not really get that much stress from pushing on it with whatever wood you’re sanding. It’s not usually about pressure.

4. I first saw something like this a few years ago in a book called Table Saw Techniques by Roger W. Cliffe, but I had never seen anything for sale until I found this. Mr Cliffe mentions nothing about the problem of putting sideways pressure on the saw arbor.
    More commonly done, cutting coves on a table saw involves running a board along an angled fence into the saw blade to create a hollow. This must put some sideways pressure on the arbor also, but I’ve never seen any problems with that mentioned either.
    I suspect that if you really need to use a disk sander everyday, you should probably buy one, but for people who may need one every once in a while, it probably works OK. I would definitely check my saw alignment after using it though.
    Then again maybe this is why CMT sells this as a balancing blade first, or they just got their marketing copy reversed — Sand with it first, then use it to check alignment.

5. TL says:

I was taught to do this in shop class 20 years ago and have never had a trouble with blade alignment. The blade will flex long before you can do any bearing damage. Also if you are using it correctly, there shouldn’t be that much pressure on the side of the blade. Press too hard and you will burn the wood. A disk sander can remove a LOT of material very quickly. Just use a slight, even pressure and let the sandpaper do it’s work.

6. Mel says:

I’ve had one quite similar to this for 12 yrs. or so. Works great, you shouldn’t use that much pressure anyway – as TL says, a 10 in disk sander
    can remove a LOT of material quickly. Using the same miter gauge for cutting and sanding is good, too.

7. Kurt says:

Sounds like the answer to my question is that the sideways pressure isn’t anything to worry about.

8. QGolden says:

I have been using a similar device on my 10 inch table saw for years. It works well and gives me an alternate use for the saw. I also added a Router Platform to it making it a real multi-function machine, but that is for another Website. 🙂

9. Vinny says:

I doubt that anyone will be using a sanding disc on their table saw long enough to do damage to the arbor bearings.

10. Mr. Bob says:

I’ve been looking all over for a 10-inch steel sanding dic plate. Where can I buy one, without the “blade balancing” tool?

11. fishguy says:

I just use a cheapo diamond edge circular saw blade. 7 1/4 i believe. cost $8 and works great with 6″ stick on sanding pads. Meets my needs quite nicely. For those worried about putting the arbor out of true… It is unlikely, but keeping the sandi.g closer to the center of the disk reduces torsion on the arbor.the abor.

12. Neil Coy says:

Try the Woodtek ® 10″ Tapered Sander Disc. It is convex by about 3 degrees so that the disc only contact the work over a small surface. Therefor it does not grab the work at the edge of the disc making it difficult to control. You have to tilt your arbor 3 degrees to get a 90 degree sanding surface. Many years ago Sears sold something similar with abrasive built into the disc. Unfortunately I wore mine out after Sears stopped selling them. The Woodtek is available from Amazon along with the abrasive discs with varying grits.