Hi-Lift X-Treme Jack

If you think high-lift jacks are just for off-road enthusiasts, think again. A serious all-purpose ratchet jack — in 48″ or 60″ lengths — like the Hi-Lift X-Treme is useful for all kinds of lifting, winching, clamping, and spreading jobs. And it’s made of cast steel for durability and longevity.

The X-Treme is Hi-Lift’s top-of-the-line model, and features a “charcoal metallic” (read: gray) powder-coated finish that resists chips and scratches. Its hardware is zinc plated to protect against corrosion, too. But most importantly it can lift or winch up to 5,000 pounds. And unlike other Hi-Lift models which include a clamp-clevis end piece, the X-Treme features comes with an adjustable clamp-spreader attachment.

Since this jack is meant to be used hard — and eventually broken — we’re happy to hear that replacement parts are available from the Bloomfield manufacturing Company (of Bloomfield, Indiana). It’s nice to know you can fix it rather than replacing the whole thing — something you won’t find with Chinese knock-offs.

Street price for both lengths is in the $90 to $100 range.

Demo Video [YouTube]
X-Treme Jack [Hi-Lift]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s this?]

7 Responses to X-Treme Jack of All Trades

1. Blind says:

I wouldn’t mind having a HiLift with my truck but about the only way I could use it would be to strap it to the wheel and if I’m using it because I’ve got a flat , that isn’t very useful

As far as vehicles go, if you don’t have something built like a jeep where everything is effectively a load bearing member, they are kind of useless. And for a general purpose tool, I’ve got a nagging feeling that there are better options out there.

2. Chuck Cage says:

Blind: I’ve seen them used to lift boxes, and I watched my father use six of ’em to lift a building up so he could pour a slab under it.

3. Eric Dykstra says:

I agree Blind, it’s not for hoisting up your Geo Metro. That being said Hi-Lift does offer a an accessory called the Lift-Mate. Link: http://tinyurl.com/2n83aj You could lift it by a bumper loop or even a trailer hitch if you’re feeling lucky.

4. tony clark says:

I have used mine to spot logs in the woods when i couldn’t get a good line to pull them out. I bolted a 2″ spike to the lift to catch the log and stuck the bottom into the ground at a slant. jack it up and the log is gonna move. I would like to have the clamp attachment for making gluelam beams on the cheap. My brother used his jack to lift a shed so he could block it up high enough to get a trailer under it so he could move the 10 miles from town to our country home.

5. wheels17 says:

Bought one of these years ago at Central Tractor, maybe a copy. Jacked up the cottage to replace the sill plates, lifted a deck for new posts, picked up the end of a boat lift for repairs, flipped the traveler over on the post and used it as a come-a-long, straightened a bent beam, pulled fence posts out of the ground. Lifts about anything. Don’t think I’ve ever used it on a car, though.

6. RobinB says:

a useful looking accesory to any hi lift style jack

7. Jim Nutt says:

I’ve a regular 48″ Hi-Lift strapped to the cage of my Jeep, it gets used pretty heavily, but Blind is right about it being useless for most cars (unless you have the lift mate attachment), as the bumper on most cars won’t bear the load and it won’t fit under the reinforced jacking point. On the other hand, it will work as a winch in a pinch (sorry about the rhyme), albeit slowly, and as other posters have pointed out, is useful for jacking up all sorts of things other than cars. There’s a host of accessories available for them, extending their usefulness even more and they aren’t unreasonably priced (especially since you can repair them when they break). Plus the handle makes a useful tie rod reinforcement (or replacement…) when bad things happen off road.