jump_TM.jpg

I hate sitting around spining an Allen key or hex wrench endlessly to get a fastener cinched down properly — particularly when there’s no space to spin it without hitting something — so the idea of a ratcheting hex wrench strikes me as first class. The tool end works either in-line with the ratcheting mechanism, or perpendicular to it for those hard to reach areas.

They come in metric and SAE sizes. The metric kit includes 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 5, 5.5, and 6mm, while the SAE set includes 1/4, 5/32, 7/64, 7/32, 9/64, 3/32, 3/16, 1/8, and 5/64 inch sizes. Both models fold down into a compact 1” x 1” x 4” package so they doesn’t take more room than most run-of-the-mill Allen sets.

jump_TM2.jpg

Street pricing runs about $17 — also not much more than an average set — though you might find it for less with careful shopping. And if you’re a fan of the Drill Doctor, you’ll be happy to hear that these are made by the same manufacturer.

Ratcheting Hex Wrench [Corporate Site]
Street Prices [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s this?]

9 Responses to Ratcheting Hex Wrenches

1. Kurt says:

What a great idea. I use hex wrenches a lot and I hate turning that little ‘L’ around. I wonder if I’ll get any grief for getting ‘yet another hex set’. Let’s find out!

2. Andrew C says:

A ratchet is a good idea, but the other problem with hex wrenches is they’re too short to reach a deep screw head – an extra two inches on the hex “blades” would be useful.

3. Mike says:

Like Andrew says, I suspect that the shank is to short on these to be good for most applications, but it would be nice when it works. For general use, I’d rather have a T-handled, ball end set. Harbor Freight sells a decent 18 piece set for $15. Mine has held up well, though I don’t use it all that often. For the price, it was a great value.

4. Trevor Dyck says:

Snap-On will make you hex sockets of any imaginable combination of drive size, length, bit size, or end type (squared or ball end, etc). Expensive, yes I know… but way more versatile and durable in the end.

5. Nate Bezanson says:

Weird! For shallow situations, I just use hex inserts bits in a drill/driver, but for a deep recess there’s no easy alternative.

One method is to cut the straight section off an L-shaped hex key, then chuck it into the drill directly, or drive it with a socket. I guess chopping up a cheap set of hex keys isn’t a great tragedy.

6. Eli says:

I usually use a folding set, but they open in opposite directions, so if you open a wrench on the ‘other’ side you can use it like a little speed handle. Ball sockets are great until the first time you snap the ball off in the hole. DAMHIKT

7. Rob says:

I like the long T-handle ball-end wrenches for most things. I have a set of 3/8″ drive hex bits for my ratchet. This looks like it might be good for a traveling tool kit but what I use now does all of this already and I suspect better.

8. George says:

You guys ever heard of a hex socket and an extension? or a long hex socket? works wonders.

9. Leo says:

I just bought a set of these and they work great. It is a great tool to work on my motorcycle with. Cant wait to put it to more use.