post-mac108.jpg

Mac announced this week that they, too, will soon ship a 10.8V lithium-ion driver to compete with the industry-first Bosch PS20 and Milwaukee’s recently-launched 12V sub-compact. Mac’s calling theirs a “screwdriver,” though, claiming 90 in-lbs of torque at an unspecified RPM.  (Bosch claims 80 in-lbs at 600 RPM and Milwaukee claims 100 in-lbs at 500 RPM.)

Standard features include a forward/reverse switch, a 10-position clutch, and an LED work light. The new “screwdriver” will ship in kit form, including a single battery pack, a charger, four two-inch driver bits, all wrapped in a blow-molded case.  We’ll pass on more about pricing — and performance — when we can.

14 Responses to Preview: Mac’s New 10.8V Li-Ion Screwdriver

1. chs says:

All black. I like that. Sure as hell beats Hitachi’s crazy green. I hope that’s actually going to be the shipping color, and not just a pre-production thing.

2. Eric Dykstra says:

that thing looks pretty badass, i’d buy one for the right price

3. Ben says:

Knowing Mac pricing, it’ll probably be twice as expensive as the Bosch or Milwaukee and only looks half as cool. It’s probably intended for mechanics, so maybe the black color will mask the inevitable buildup of dirt and grease.

4. lens says:

I have the Bosch and this looks like the same drill with different plastics. The givaway is that battery receptical in the charger looks exactly the same as the Bosch. Does MAC actually make any power tools or do they rebrand?

5. William says:

Mac does not make anything anymore, all they do is brand their name on items from other manufactuers. The distributors have a 35% mark up on the item, yet Mac marks it up 50% for the distributors to buy. When I worked for Stanley, we could purchase Mac and Proto stuff off the Stanley Web Store for a fraction of what Mac sell it for. Yet, it’s still cheap stuff made overseas.

6. Jake says:

I had this, it crapped out after a month. My mac guy was reluctant to replace it stating that it doesn’t carry the same warranty as their hand tools. Then he went out of business.

7. Mac Guy says:

I am a Mac dealer and have sold about 20 of these in the past three months. No complaints yet everyone is impressed by the power and battery life.

8. Jake says:

Mac Guy. will you replace mine then? Even the folks up at 800-mac-tools won’t budge. They said it doesn’t fall under their warranty policy. I’ve got he receipt, purchased Dec 18th 2007. Won’t hold a charge for more than a minute.

9. Michael says:

Hey Mac Guy…I too have one of these pieces of crap right out off the truck. Gave it a full charge as per the instructions and it dies as soon as I pull the trigger. My mac man kept telling me my replacement was on backorder for weeks on end and then quit stopping by my shop. Now he’s out of business and the Mac folks up in Ohio tell me they don’t warranty these the same way they do hand tools.

10. Mac Man Bill says:

Michael,
    If you’ve lost your Mac Man, ask the folks at HQ Mac that you’d like to speak to the local District Manager who may be able to help. Unfortunately, the first batch of these appeared to be ok but I’ve quit selling them for the same reason as you’ve described.

11. Jerry says:

I’m glad to see I wasn’t the only one that had issues with this. My mac man replaced mine twice for the battery failing to hold a charge. I guess the problem wasn’t the battery but an internal short in the drill. After the third one, my mac guy refunded my money and won’t sell them again.

12. Nick says:

Our boss bought each of us one as xmas gifts. There are eight of us in the shop. within days, these started to crap out on us and of course the mac man is now broke and out of business and the no help from the company. Mac used to be a good tool company but since stanley bought them, they’re no better than the stuff you by in walmart except being way overpriced.

13. AJ says:

This is crap and I see many others have the same problem I had. Mac tool guys never stay in business for more than a year. My macman said my replacement was on backorder and weeks went by. Then he quite showing up. I finally threw mine away and bought a DeWalt.

14. Rico says:

I just tossed mine in the dump as well and bought a Milwaukee. At least I know I can go to Home Depot and get a replacement if something goes wrong.

I gave up on Mac. I used to be a big Mac tool fan but now, they’re almost extinct. There used to be 4 or 5 trucks running around in my city but when I called their 1-800 number today, they told me they’ve all gone out of business – and had the gall to ask me if I wanted to become a distributor. I think the mobile tool business is coming to an end. Our Cornwell guy disappeared last year along with Mac and Matco and we’ve not seen Snappy in weeks. But I’ll save a bundle not buying off the trucks…