glovetest.jpgmilw-fin-01.jpg

As we wrap up glove week, we couldn’t help but include one pair of fingerless gloves: Milwaukee’s.  We suffered through our scary memories of 1980s fingerless driving gloves, reminding ourselves that these are work gloves — not something from 1983 that Eddie Murphy might wear — to bring you some quantitative test results.  Read on past the jump for our experiences and (of course) lots of photos.

Construction

milw-fin-02.jpg   milw-fin-03.jpg   milw-fin-04.jpg

The materials and build quality of Milwaukee’s fingerless gloves is very similar to their contractor gloves, which we reviewed earlier this week. Mostly the glove is made up of nylon and Lycra with thick nylon webbing areas sewn into the palm for protection.

As the name suggests the main difference between these gloves and the contractor gloves are the missing finger tips.  We say finger “tips” because this is an important difference: the fingerless gloves actually do cover your fingers down to the second knuckle.

General Feel

milw-fin-05.jpg   milw-fin-06.jpg   milw-fin-07.jpg

If you’ve never worn fingerless gloves before, putting them on feels a bit strange. Most of your hand feels protected, but your fingers feel more naked than when you’re not wearing a glove.  It’s a strange experience feeling protected but strangely vulnerable.  Other than that the gloves feel quite comfortable and don’t restrict movement at all.

In general use we found these gloves to be excellent for carrying lumber and working with power tools.  They kept the major parts of your hand protected while leaving your finger tips open for fine work.  The tiny bit of finger protection the gloves do offer is just the right amount to wrap around the edge of a sheet of plywood without exposing yourself to Splinterfest 2007.

Read on to page two for our protection and dexterity tests.

pages: 1 2 3

7 Responses to Hands-On: Milwaukee Fingerless Gloves

1. Old Donn says:

Actually, there are only two practical uses for fingerless gloves. 1) Riding a motorcycle, (bikers refer to these as “nose pickers”). 2) Hard core gym rats wear them while pumping iron. Anything else? Doubtful.

2. PutnamEco says:

Re: Old Donn
    Some people in construction do like them. Easier to pick up nails etc., while still offering some protection for the palms when carrying plywood/osb.
    Some who work the loading docks like them, easier to grab cardboard boxes from tightly packed tractor trailers,
    Some biologist like them, can still write notes, and have some protection while moving rocks, climbing ladders, etc.
    Some mechanics do like them, can start nuts and bolts while still protecting the palms from ratchets and certain air tools.
    Some pilots like them for doing preflights. Can get a good feel for nicks and cracks in props and still have protection from ailerons and elevators.
    Some gardeners like them, Can handle a shovel, trowels, dibbles and plant seeds or small plants and bulbs.
    Some sailors like them for rope handling and to still being able to tie and untie knots.
    Need I go on???
    Me, I like to wear ragg wool one under my mittens when I go ice fishing
    My favs

3. Old Donn says:

Aside to Putnam. You forgot the 7 dwarfs and Santa’s elves. Seriously, I’ve no doubt you’re right. However, from what I’ve seen, guys either wear gloves on the job or they don’t. Not these things.

4. Tecra still sells the special deer-skin gloves used by telecom installers. Dexterity for knot tying is the first concern, so the fingers are open, but tension on the cord is also important, and the gloves help with that.

Telephone Tools of Georgia also sells a sheep-skin version. Some guys swear by these things. Others just grow callouses. The rest, well, the rest just tie loose stitches. 😉

5. JamesBrauer66 says:

When I worked at the furniture glass place years ago, some of the guys wore fingerless gloves. We had to pick up big pieces of flat glass that were stacked up between a few squares of sheetrock. The fingerless let them stick their fingers between the pieces to get a grip, then use the padded parts against the sharp edge for lifting. I stuck with fingered gloves and would just ram my fingers in there and lift the glass a little as my fingers wedged in.

6. Medievalist says:

I don’t understand how people can wear fingered gloves while working. How can you pass up the feel of the surfaces you are dealing with, how can you stand the lack of feedback on your grip and contact area? It’s baffling. If I didn’t want to touch my tools and my supplies I’d work on something I *did* want to touch.

And, it’s hard to type in full gloves. Really hard, especially on little diagnostic keypads when you are squeezed in under a half ton of high explosive trying to fix the airconditioning before the propellant hits flash point. Or when you’re thirty feet up a pole in a cutting wind.

I’ve been wearing fingerless gloves for about 20 years and I love ’em, if my fingertips need protection I put my hands in my pockets or put hi-volt rubber gloves on over the fingerless ones.

The price you pay is a lot of splinters. A disk drive magnet will pull the ferrous ones out pretty quick, though, and a knife or needle will get the rest.

The ones in my pockets right now are camo-patterned poly-fleece with thick, soft leather palms. Warm even when wet, strong, lightweight and they let your hands breathe if you get sweaty.

–CHarlie

7. Renita Hogon says:

I like this article yet do not agree with all of your points. Can’t dispute with the common tone though. Well crafted as well!