Painting can be a messy and time consuming chore, but it’s easier with the right tools — like a dedicated paint pail.  With a magnetic brush holder and a scraper rim, they kick the crap out of a plain ‘ole bucket.

I’ve owned the Handy Paint Pail (pictured) for many years.  It features a magnetic brush holder — that keeps the bristles of your brush off the bottom and prevents them from loading up with paint — and a built-in paint scraper that Bercom touts as a good way to avoid drips and reduce waste.  (Though for what it’s worth, I’ve found that tapping the brush against the tall sides of the container works better.)  The adjustable hand strap makes the pail feel good in your hand — and comfortable to hold for long periods of time.

Last time I painted a room, I discovered that Bercom also makes cheap disposable liners for the pail. These liners fit the pail so well that unlike most roller tral liners, you forget they’re there.  The liners make cleaning the Pail as easy as removing the liner and throwing it away.

Street Pricing starts at $8 for the pail and $4 for a four-pack of liners — a small price to simplify and speed up your next painting project.

Handy Paint Pail [Manufacturer]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s this?]

12 Responses to Bercom’s Handy Paint Pail

1. Quentin says:

I bought one of these about a month ago; I’d been eying them up for years. Now I have one and I love it! It’s so much better than using old yogurt containers.

2. Kelley Nelson says:

If you’re a cheap b*stard, there is a simpler version available at HD for $1.99 It doesn’t have the nice rubber hand strap or support removable liners though. There is a brush rest, but it’s not magnetic.

I might have gotten this one if I had seen it. The only other similar product I saw that day was a Pelican pail, which is similar to this, but is even nicer. It’s $30 though, and I wasn’t ready to spend that kind of dough for a convenience tool.

3. BJN says:

Yep, I got one of these about a month ago and really like it. The magnet works and exposes the Purdy brushes with “copper” flashing to be using plated steel. I wash the inserts a few times before discarding them. The hand strap is what makes this worth the price. It’s more secure and comfortable and trying to hold a small container, especially when you’re high on a ladder painting awkward spots.

4. JamesBrauer66 says:

That is a good idea. I might epoxy an old disk drive (rare earth) magnet inside my plastic paint bucket the next time I paint for a brush holder.

5. BonBon says:

I’ve been using the Handy Paint Pail for several years now. I just love it. And they seem to keep improving on the original. The liners make clean-up a snap! I’ve even given these as stocking stuffers to the guys in my family for Christmas!

6. Dore Arnold says:

Hi,

I am not one for any type of home office project, yet alone painting! But, I was enlisted to help my husband paint our living room and bedroom. He put a brush and a handy paint pail in my hand, and I hate to admit, it wasn’t bad! I grew up using cool whip containers! Who knows? Could it be that there is a bathroom to paint in my future? Seriously, it is SUPER!!!!!!!!!

7. Mike says:

When these first came out Purdy was still using copper ferules and they wouldn stick to the magnet. Then like a year or two later they switched to plated steel

8. Mike says:

And it your high on a ladder painging akward spots you can put your trim bucket on a ladder hook, theres no need to always hold your trim bucket. If the situation is that akward (heh) id want to use the other hand to keep myself from falling.

9. Deb says:

Painting is actually relaxing for me, and when I was introduced to the Handy Paint pail, I know I had a friend for life-especially since I am the only one in the house that paints! It just fits. it lessons that fatigue on my hands and keeps the paint and the brush where they should be-right next to each other. I’ve used the pail for years, adding the accessories as they become available. Whoever invented this technical wonder, I applaud their ingenuity.

10. LOUIE says:

Painting sucks…….but it sucks a lot less with this pail.

11. Connie says:

I was in my Home depot store outside of Tampa Bay Florida and a nice young man showed me how this bucket works. My hands are a little larger then most females, so he demonstrated how to adjust the handle strap. I bought some liners also and used all of them this weekend! Although one was used for soaking my paint brush when i was done. I really loved this bucket and have told all my friends how great it is!!! What will people think of next??

12. bri says:

I’ve used this pail for a few years now, the liners are worth their weight in gold, just tip it upside down over the paint can to drain the unused paint if you keep your paint clean, and then throw the liner out..

or if you’re like me, wait until your semi-gloss latex cures a bit and peel it all out and use the liner again.. 🙂 peeling the paint out is half the fun, the other half is saving $.50..