Conclusions

xpr-01.jpg

The Dremel 400 XPR Series kit is not short on capability.  It offers more functionality — stuffed in a smaller area — than any other rotary kit we’ve seen.  We had no trouble installing and configuring all the tools and attachments quickly and without hassle, once we learned how they work.

As with any offering this large, we thought that some features work better than others, but on the whole it’s a great kit for beginners and seasoned pros.

It’s a tiny woodworking shop in a box, and with all the extra tools and accessories included, its $130 price doesn’t seem unreasonable at all.

XPR 400-6/90 Kit [Dremel]
Street Pricing [Google Product Search]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

pages: 1 2 3

9 Responses to Hands-On: Dremel’s XPR 400 Series Kit

1. Jack says:

There is a slot to attach the light on the edge of the carry case. I just thought that was a cool little addition.

2. Ivan says:

After I had 2 bad RotoZips I bought one of these. While it’s a very nice toolset, it’s not a replacement as it’s less sturdy. Though it’s real handy in confined spaces.
    So after using it on a couple projects, it just stopped working at all. I have tried to get new brushes but it seems only the manufacturer is shipping these.

Anyway, overall I would recommend this sit with the right mindset. This is not a contractor tool but merely a fine hobbyist.

3. Human Player says:

everything you ever wanted to know about a product except the frick’n price
    09-24-07

4. sherry says:

This set up is about $128.00 on dremelfactoryoutlet.com right now (no tax, but there is shipping) and I am really thinking of getting it- I’m a fumble fingered divorced lady and was left with few tools so this would do the maintenance tasks I can do – if something extensive needs to be done, I’d be hiring someone ELSE with their own tools anyway… it also will fulfil as a dream machine for my jewelry and other hobbies and encourage me to try other things. I think it’s a great deal for the price though perhaps the work station and flex stand would be a must have addition. A neighbor told me the garden tool/lawnmower blade sharpener works GREAT, and I’m thinking that flex attachment will be terrific for my fairly small hands.

5. Jim Frees says:

I bought one of the first XPR 400 kits when they were first released, this make my fifth tool kit with Dremel I really love their tools. This handset though has given me nothing but fits and Dremel has done a wonderful job of trying to trouble shoot the situation but now I am faced with sending it into them for them to get their hands on it physically.

What is the problem? The handset’s exhausted air gets verrrrry hot and the shaft lock slips. I started out the same way I do all of my tools by unpacking it all and looking over absolutely everything, removing the collar and collet and finger turning the rotor to feel for free rotation and replacing the collect and collar and reading the owners manual( yes I really read everyone- I am hopeless…) and then i plug in the tool and run it on the slowest setting possible without a load on it for 5-10 minutes to break it in and see how it “feels” how it is going to handle. This handset however made it about 45 seconds before the exhausted air that ports out onto your hand got so hot I had to shut it off. I have even tried on several occasions to repeat this process to see if it just needed multiple attempts to break it in the handset. The oddest thing is that the handset does not get hot to the touch it is the ported exhaust air that is the culprit.

Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have any ideas or helpful insight?

Don’t get me wrong I love Dremel and I fully endorse all of their products completely this is a very isolated incident and they are more than willing to replace and inspect the set if I send it to them and pay for the shipping. I just want to know, again as I said, has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have any ideas or helpful insight?

• Chris says:

If I hold too high on the handset of mine it seems to obstruct the intake and make it heat up. It will probably work better if you hold it lower although it is not as easy to control. And be happy you have the flex shaft that eliminates this problem, I bought mine without attachments.

6. Jim Frees says:

Also for Ivan many big box retialers like Lowes carry and sell the brushes right off the shelf with their Dremel tools and accessories.

7. Floyd PEterson says:

xacto 400xpr
    shaft lock slips.
    this happens on my unit also. has this problem been resolved? if so, what is the fix?
    peace to you and yours
    floyd

8. Spike says:

What are the slots on each side of the kit for? Extra space or are there tools that are additional and the slots are meant to hold them?