xpr-32.jpg

There’s so much stuff packed in Dremel’s XPR 400 kit that it’s like a micro-shop in a box.  Hell, calling this a “hands-on post” isn’t really fair — it’s more like four or five separate hands-on posts.  Dremel uses literally every last part of the included toolbox to hold a Dremel rotary tool, six attachments, and over 90 accessories and bits.

Read on past the jump for our hands-on experiences with this massive mess of Dremel tools.

Unboxing

xpr-02.jpg   xpr-03.jpg   xpr-04.jpg

The size of the Dremel’s box doesn’t really give you the big picture of what’s inside. There are tons of tools in there, and they all fit inside this little space.  When we opened it, we were blown away that Dremel found a way to fit it all inside.  Someone over at Dremel must have a doctorate in spatial relations.

xpr-04a.jpg

The cool part about all this packing is while there are little parts everywhere, nothing rattles . Shaking the entire box with vigor generates a small, measly rattling noise.  Maybe this isn’t a big deal, but we did notice it.

xpr-05.jpg

Inside you’ll find four bit containers that look like fishing lure boxes located on each corner of the box.  Three of the containers have white pre-formed bit holders that keep all the kit’s bits easy to see and reach.  You can also remove each box from the kit.  The top two also open and close on top of the shelf for easy access or slide out completely for use elsewhere.  The bottom containers fit completely in a slot made for them and lock in via a plastic bump/lip method.

The contents of these containers are what anyone would expect from Dremel’s flagship toolkit: just about anything you would ever need.  The whole kit is literarily covered with sanding attachments and mini drums, grinding stones and drill bits.  If you can do it with a rotary tool, Dremel has included the stuff you need to do it in this kit.

xpr-07.jpg   xpr-08.jpg

At the heart of the kit lies Dremel’s XPR 400 series rotary tool.  It’s the evolutionary flagship of the corded rotary tool market — beefy, solid, and including a variable speed motor that adjusts from 5,000 to 35,000 rpm.  It’s the versatile muscle that makes everything in the kit go.

xpr-09.jpg   xpr-10.jpg

The 400 offers all the features that Dremel users have come to expect, like a fully adjustable speed dial located at the rear and sturdy on/off controls.  The chuck is a screw type locking collet — much like the 300 series’ — and tightens nicely by pushing the shaft lock button and turning the knurled collet sleeve.

xpr-11.jpg

Dremel also thoughtfully included a ton of 400 series attachments in this box-o-plenty. The first out of the case was the MultiSaw attachment that turns the Dremel into a small recip saw. The mini-recip attachment screws into the front collet after you remove the plastic sleeve surrounding the chuck.

xpr-12.jpg

The PL400 planer attachment looks a bit abstract but employs a spinning planer bit-blade to shave down wood . It’s different looking and only three inches long but it does work.

xpr-13.jpg

The circle cutter and straight edge guide connects to the chuck on the 400 and acts like a guide foot on a hand held router.  The 400’s bit pokes through the bottom end of the guide to the stock below where it can route straight lines or pivot on the pin located in the track for curves and circles. The cutting guide attachment works a lot like the circle cutter and straight edge guide, but without a straight edge guide.

xpr-14.jpg

The flex shaft attachment is a bit involved to put together — but worth it if you want to convert the bulk of the 400 into a small, fine detail stylus.  The flex shaft attaches via a larger driver cap that screws down onto the motor shaft.  It takes an extra step to put together but it’s worth it to add the flex shaft’s smaller profile to your stable of gear.

xpr-15.jpg

The sixth and final tool included in the kit is the FlexLite — an LED lite powered by a small Lithium Ion watch battery. The battery is connected to the bulb via a flexible arm that stays in place when positioned.  The whole rig hooks to the back of the Dremel at the rear of the unit behind the speed control dial.

With all the attachments and bits spilled out into our work area, we moved on to testing to see how useful they actually are.

Read on to page two for our in use experiences.

pages: 1 2 3

9 Responses to Hands-On: Dremel’s XPR 400 Series Kit

1. Jack says:

There is a slot to attach the light on the edge of the carry case. I just thought that was a cool little addition.

2. Ivan says:

After I had 2 bad RotoZips I bought one of these. While it’s a very nice toolset, it’s not a replacement as it’s less sturdy. Though it’s real handy in confined spaces.
    So after using it on a couple projects, it just stopped working at all. I have tried to get new brushes but it seems only the manufacturer is shipping these.

Anyway, overall I would recommend this sit with the right mindset. This is not a contractor tool but merely a fine hobbyist.

3. Human Player says:

everything you ever wanted to know about a product except the frick’n price
    09-24-07

4. sherry says:

This set up is about $128.00 on dremelfactoryoutlet.com right now (no tax, but there is shipping) and I am really thinking of getting it- I’m a fumble fingered divorced lady and was left with few tools so this would do the maintenance tasks I can do – if something extensive needs to be done, I’d be hiring someone ELSE with their own tools anyway… it also will fulfil as a dream machine for my jewelry and other hobbies and encourage me to try other things. I think it’s a great deal for the price though perhaps the work station and flex stand would be a must have addition. A neighbor told me the garden tool/lawnmower blade sharpener works GREAT, and I’m thinking that flex attachment will be terrific for my fairly small hands.

5. Jim Frees says:

I bought one of the first XPR 400 kits when they were first released, this make my fifth tool kit with Dremel I really love their tools. This handset though has given me nothing but fits and Dremel has done a wonderful job of trying to trouble shoot the situation but now I am faced with sending it into them for them to get their hands on it physically.

What is the problem? The handset’s exhausted air gets verrrrry hot and the shaft lock slips. I started out the same way I do all of my tools by unpacking it all and looking over absolutely everything, removing the collar and collet and finger turning the rotor to feel for free rotation and replacing the collect and collar and reading the owners manual( yes I really read everyone- I am hopeless…) and then i plug in the tool and run it on the slowest setting possible without a load on it for 5-10 minutes to break it in and see how it “feels” how it is going to handle. This handset however made it about 45 seconds before the exhausted air that ports out onto your hand got so hot I had to shut it off. I have even tried on several occasions to repeat this process to see if it just needed multiple attempts to break it in the handset. The oddest thing is that the handset does not get hot to the touch it is the ported exhaust air that is the culprit.

Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have any ideas or helpful insight?

Don’t get me wrong I love Dremel and I fully endorse all of their products completely this is a very isolated incident and they are more than willing to replace and inspect the set if I send it to them and pay for the shipping. I just want to know, again as I said, has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have any ideas or helpful insight?

• Chris says:

If I hold too high on the handset of mine it seems to obstruct the intake and make it heat up. It will probably work better if you hold it lower although it is not as easy to control. And be happy you have the flex shaft that eliminates this problem, I bought mine without attachments.

6. Jim Frees says:

Also for Ivan many big box retialers like Lowes carry and sell the brushes right off the shelf with their Dremel tools and accessories.

7. Floyd PEterson says:

xacto 400xpr
    shaft lock slips.
    this happens on my unit also. has this problem been resolved? if so, what is the fix?
    peace to you and yours
    floyd

8. Spike says:

What are the slots on each side of the kit for? Extra space or are there tools that are additional and the slots are meant to hold them?