Cobra Triple Grip Anchors

Cobra claims that their Triple Grip anchors — with dual claws, a split core, and locking wings — can hold a maximum pull load of 70 pounds in 5/8” drywall or a whopping 275 pounds in concrete.  These aren’t your ordinary everyday plastic anchors.

Built for use in drywall, solid or hollow brick, and cinder blocks, Triple Grips can also withstand vertical shear loads of 115 pounds in drywall or 500 pounds in concrete.  These load ratings kick the crap out of ordinary plastic anchors — but not without a catch: they’re thicker and require larger pre-drill holes.

The triple grips of the anchor

So far I’ve only seen these anchors at larger Lowes stores, and Cobra’s website is “under construction.”  But after using them to install some shelving, I’d say Triple Grips really hold up to the competition.  Prices are slightly higher than for generic plastic anchors, and start at about 8 cents apiece, assuming you buy the bulk pack.  In medium and large package quantities, Cobra throws in matching screws and a masonry bit.

Cobra Anchors (Corporate Site, “Under Construction”)

8 Responses to Plastic Anchors With A Difference

1. F451 says:

All these plastic anchors are like wearing condoms: You never quite get that warm and fuzzy feeling when you are not anchored to the real thing.

Drywall itself was never designed to be used to anchor objects…that’s why you have predetermined backing in the places it is needed. Still, these look to be one of the better condoms…err…I mean, anchors.

2. Zathrus says:

Hey, I nail/screw into studs as often as possible, but it’s not always possible — I have numerous shelves, hooks, etc. that don’t have the mounting spacing at 16″. I just put up some hooks in the kids’ bathroom that had two holes at a 2″ spacing — no way to hit a stud with both. And in one wall of my house (a badly finished basement), the studs aren’t at 16″. Or 19.2″. Or even 24″…

I’ll take a look at these; so far my favorite plastic anchors are the self-drilling ones from EZ-Anchor — no need to drill even a pilot hole (no good for concrete or masonry, but they make a metal version that is).

3. Greg Smith says:

I prefer the ex-anchor just because they are easy to remove and can be reused if careful.

4. Stuey says:

The thing about “E-Z Ancors” is that they are intended for use in drywall only. There is an exception – the “stud solver,” which can punch into a stud located directly behind the drywall panel. While self-drilling masonry screws are available, I can’t seem to find any self-drilling anchors of the E-Z style.

Detailed info about E-Z Ancor brand self-drilling anchors can be found here:

According to the specifications, the removable E-Z anchors are slightly more pullout-resistant than the Triple Grips. Unfortunately, shear load details are not available online so a head to head comparison isn’t possible.

While I have tried E-Z style anchors with good results, they lack the versatility that my applications demand.

5. Alex says:

The Triple Grip Anchors DON’T work as well as claimed. You have to use the precise screw for each size anchor, which is a hassle and they DON’T work well in drywall. My 40lbs mirror came right off the wall. Luckily, I caught it without it breaking. In brick, they worked okay, but I didn’t trust the weights on the package. I like the Alligator plugs from Toggler better. Just my opinion.

6. Luc says:

The Tripple Grip DO WORK and they are the best I’ve ever tried on the market. I’ve also hung a Mirror of about 50 lbs and nothing came down, it’s still hanging after a year, very strong and not moving. I don’t know how you’ve installed your mirror ? Concerning the screws sizes, it’s the same with any plastic anchor, you have to have the right matching sizes of screw in order to work, so maybe that was your problem to start with.

I’ve tried the EZ-Anchor and was deceived, the EZ-Anchor is hard to insert because of the 2 points at the tip of the anchor, they have a tendancy of breaking . I ratter use the WallGripper, a selft drilling anchor that expands also behind the drywall like the Triple Grip, but without the needs to pre-drill a hole.

7. Peter says:

I like the toggler alligator anchors a lot better than these triple grip. They are so much stronger. The triple grip are like plastic plugs with extra ridges.

8. Wayne says:

I also tried both and the triple grip was good if the wall thickness
    was correct.

Alligators work with various screws and work
    on any wall or cement.

The plastic is fairly hard and strong on both.

I use toggler alligators (5/16″ flanged) due to their strength and versatility in any situation. Only thing better is a behind the wall metal toggler bolt.