tracksonlift.jpg

Kicking back on the weekend with a frosty beer, some tools and a conversion kit. Not just any conversion kit, a retina burning, yellow tank conversion kit. Now that’s a way to spend a weekend. I’m not sure what this would cost and I’m not sure I want to know but Mattracks conversions would look great on my wife’s PT cruiser. Heck she might not even notice they look close to stock right?

Tracked Conversion Kits [Mattracks]

8 Responses to It’s Just Cool: Mattracks Conversions

1. Blair says:

I looked into Mattracks a few years ago, I had them send me their free video. It’s VERY impressive. From what I recall I think it was about a $40,000 job for all 4 wheels to be replaced.

2. PutnamEco says:

They make a kit for ATVs and are working on a UATV

Ripsaw is way cooler

Bv206 come on the market every once in a while, and they are relatively affordable.

3. Old Donn says:

Hate to poop the party, but there are a lot better uses for 40 large.

4. Stuey says:

For 40k, you can probably get a used Land Rover or lease one or something. Let me tell you, I couldn’t believe what I saw it capable of.

5. Evan N. says:

Instead of 4 separate tracks, I’d like to see Caterpillar-style track conversions for 4 wheel drive vehicles. Then you’d almost never get stuck. I bet a creative type could build it from spare parts–I’m picturing welding two steel rims together to get the tracks out in the open, for a start …

6. Evan N. says:

Using open differentials you could turn by applying brakes to the left wheels to turn left…apply brakes to the right wheels to turn right…use a diesel to get the appropriate black smoke…then just run over stuff!!!

7. Stuey says:

The problem with catterpillar-style tracks on a traditional road-sized vehicle (even the abnormally wide Hummers), is the length to width ratio.

Even if you slap full-length tracks onto a Hummer or wide body pickup, you’re probably going to run into turning issues. If you can’t optimize for a low turn radius, then there’s minimum advantage over the Mattracks.

When you see snowmobiles or snowmobile truck conversions, only the rear wheels are tracked, with skis or similar constructions up front for steering. While I haven’t looked into it, I’m certain that steering geometry is used since minor turn radius wouldn’t be possible with full-length tracks. In addition, attempting to make a turn at too small of a turning radius might damage the track system or transmission.

8. Evan N. says:

Good point Stuey about length:width ratio. So just use a Suzuki Samurai 🙂 (I recall caterpillars and tanks are wide compared to long).

Open diffs would do it–trans still always turns forwards, and with left wheels locked all power is applied to right wheels.

Mattracks seems Neat-O!!