jigithole.jpg

Drilling dozens of accurately-placed holes for a shelving project?  Try a shelving jig, like this one from Rockler.  It’ll keep you from spending your whole day measuring and drilling, and you’re far more likely to end up with level shelves afterwards to boot.

The jig is simple: it’s just a clear plastic plate with pre-spaced 1/4” or 5mm holes that are aligned in two rows.  This spacing allows you to drills holes either 1-7/16” or 2-1/2” from the shelves’ front edge.  Just hold the bar against the shelving edge, mark, and drill the hole.

And it’s just $25.  That sounds like a lot for a little piece of plastic, but this could easily save you hours on a bookcase project.  How much is your time worth?

Jig It Shelving Jig [Rockler]
Street Pricing [Google Product Search]

6 Responses to Getting Jiggy With Shelving Holes

1. Kyle says:

I can see this being worth it if you do this type of thing a lot, but for the rare use, you can use a piece of pegboard…..

2. Roscoe says:

I bought this exact jig several years ago and it was well worth it. The key to the hole system is really the spring loaded bit with collar that fits perfectly in the template holes. Every hole is square and the exact same depth, and since the bit doesn’t touch the template, there is no wear.

This is also better than a router, because you can fit the jig in finished cabinets where a router would require you to plan ahead.

3. Steve Thompson says:

I’d like to have one of these, but I just finished a kitchen and used pegboard and a Vicks bit. Besides durability, the pegboard worked fine.

4. Simon says:

IKEA has a cheap version of this for handle installations

5. Sheldon McGee says:

I just do it the way I learned on TV probably from Norm. I made the jig in less time that it would take to drive to Rockler. I usually create the holes after the cabinet is made. Basically, you cut a piece of plywood and make it about 4 inches wide. Then you mark out where you want the holes. Using a drill press and a 1/2 fornester (I can’t spell) bit to drill big holes that will fit perfectly with the brass collar that you put on your router. Clamp the new jig to the cabinet and using a 1/4 inch spiral bit on a plunge router set to the right depth. Perfectly space holes with very little tear out and done quickly. If you have a large cabinet you can make one long jig so you don’t have to keep moving it.

6. TL says:

I’ve got this jig and love it. I would much rather drag around my cordless drill than the full sized router any day.