hot-or-not5.jpg
post-ragesaw.jpg

A couple of different Toolmonger readers have written in to ask us what we think of the Evolution Rage circ saws.  If you haven’t heard of them, here’s their elevator speech: they claim their saws can cut through steel, aluminum, and wood — even wood with nails in it — with “virtually no burr or sparks.”  They also say that their saws don’t heat up steel, which means you can handle the cut right afterward.

Besides these claims, they’re pretty much standard circ saws.  The 7-1/4″ model (pictured) cuts 2-1/8″ at 90 degrees or 1-3/8″ at 45.  The interesting part is that it spins at 3,500 rpm.  Also of note: Evolution claims this model has a “30 minute maximum duty cycle.”

Sadly, we haven’t tried one of these out.  Until we can rectify that, do any of you have experience with ’em?  Let us know in comments.

Rage Circ Saw [Evolution]

30 Responses to Hot or Not? Evolution Rage Circ Saws

1. Rick says:

Ok.. wait a second..
    What claims do they make about cutting steel cold? I mean how do they say they’re doing it? Anytime I’ve seen any ferrous metal being cut or severed there’s always some amount of heat generated. What are these guys doing? Suspending the laws of physics?

2. Paul says:

This could get interesting. Let’s say someone says the steel won’t get hot. Does that make the tool hot? No, but it is still a hot tool. A hot cold tool. Or a hot, cold cutting tool. More likely though it’s a cold, hot cutting tool which doesn’t do what it claims.

3. tooldork says:

Agreed that the specs are fairly consistent with other 7 1/4″ circ saws and that the RPM rate is much lower, but that would not, alone, allow for the “saw” to cut through metal.

Actually, it is the blade that is the single largest determining factor if the saw will make a successful through all of the materials they claim.

I have never seen that particular tooth configuration and their site didn’t provide any additional information. Of note, the arbor is 3/4″ versus standard 5/8″. So, you are limited to their blades.

4. jack says:

It would be a lot simpler if they stuck to simpler marketing pitches like “cuts like a hot knife through butter”, or in this case they could maybe even say “cuts like a hot knife through butter virtually no burr or sparks.”

5. Fred says:

The Evolution saws seem to be similar – if not identical to the MK Morse saws.
    MK Morse markets them as Metal Devils – CSM7 MB @7inch and CSM9MB @9 inch. Morse also sells several different saw blades – one for mild steel, another for stainless and a third for aluminum. I’ve used it to cut mild steel plate – and it works well with a fresh blade. It works even better on roof decking which is thinner and hard to cut easily with any other tool – this saw is good for that application.
    I’m not sure how these compare to the Milwaukee saw (6370-21) – but when I purchased the 9 inch Morse (paid about $470 at a supply house in NJ) I was warned-off the Milwaukee (8 inch – $290) – so I’m not sure if I was being directed to the Morse because of its higher price or better performance (it does have a bevel and laser guide feature – which I don’t think are very important).
    I’ve heard that the secret to it working – is a tooth geometry and material (cermet?) that results in much cooler running.

6. cpw says:

Yet to have anyone comment who has actually used their saws! Probably need someone from the UK to look at this site…I wonder how the saws (esp the miter) works on wood as compared to a traditional saw with a wood blade.

7. BJN says:

Golly gosh. Excuse me if I’m missing something, but doesn’t the saw blade do the actual cutting, heating and sparking? Doesn’t the rest of the saw serve to make the blade go roundandround and give you a way to point and push it? Seems to me if the claims are true, it’s the saw blade that would be interesting, not the saw.

8. Clinton says:

If it works the blade is hot if it ever comes available in a 5/8″ arbor. The saw- very cold for it’s non-standard arbor. But I’m very skeptical as to how it could work. Cutting metal produces heat. Even the sharpest cutter still get itself and the material hot though to varying degrees depending on material and cutter geometry. A sharp mill bit can cut many metals without coolant but it still gets really hot just not failure hot. Atleast that’s been my experience and I can’t think of an exception to that. Thin sheet and thin-walled tubing cool off fast enough that you’d be hard pressed to notice the heat but it’s still there. I’ve cut EMT with a Dewalt metal circular saw (geared lower than their wood saw I think) and you can handle it almost immediately but it’s still really warm.

9. Mark Bickford says:

Looking at the configuration of the blade, it appears that the guide tooth would only allow the cutter tooth to cut into the material a very small amount, say less than a 1/16″ That would prevent the blade from advancing too fast, keeping the heat down. The softer the material, the faster the exposed part of the cutter tooth is going to cut into the material.

10. Fred says:

I’ve used the 9 inch Morse Saw on roof decking (corrugated sheet steel). It has a chip collection chamber (needs to be emptied regularly) – but other than that there are very few sparke flying about and landing on folks beneath the work. This was never the case with abrasive wheel cutting – and nibbling was never a practical option.

By the way – my saw has a 1 inch arbor – not 5/8 inch.

Except for its red and black color scheme it looks muck like the Evolution.

11. Matt Gavins says:

Hello everyone

I guess I’m the inventor of the Evolution sawing system – based in Sheffield, UK (the Steel City).

I just happened acroos this site & everyone seems sceptical – I can assure you our products do exactly what we say. They cut lots of steel cold & the same blade can handle wood, Aluminum or plastic.

The process IS a combination of machine & blade as we need a high torgue gearbox, better safety guarding & a tremenmdous blade that is inexpensive yet lasts a long time

The blade “mills” the steel into small chips and the heat dissapates almost immediately – any heat in the chips is okay becaus ethe machine collect them in the side compartment keeping the work area tidy.

We also make the machine / blades for MK Morse so please don’t be confused.

Please check our website for more details or call our US office in Davenport Iowa.

Good luck & look out for more new product that will blow your mind from Evolution.

Matthew Gavins

12. TTM says:

I used one of the first metal cutting portable circ saws 10 years ago – the Japanese tool manufacturers came out with theses saws that had both the depth limiting blade tooth shape and the chip collecting canisters. I think the big “invention” here is making the blade cheap enough that regular people can afford the saw. Wood cutting is usually quite a bit slower than you are used to with a dedicated wood blade at 5000 to 6000rpm.

13. dan says:

i have the miter saw,it does exactly what they claim ,i cut a 3×3 .120 square tube,a pretty as you please,straight with no blade flex like you get with a chop saw.i am very please ,i have cut alot of 1in tubing the metel is not hot at all,wear safty glasses it does throw small metal chips ,a magnet is handy for clean-up,no sparks.

14. Vaughan says:

I work in Ireland as a scaffolder we use these saws in our yard to cut scaffold tube to length we just line them up side by side and cut through 6-8 at a time it gives a good cut though the tube, ends are very sharp with a new blade. The tubes (and blade) do get warm but not enough to distemper the steel. It is slow but far faster than a reciprocating saw and as a bonus you can cut next to glass unlike abrasive wheel cutters.

15. Arne Pelkonen says:

I have the rage Evo 3 chop saw. Awesome tool. Cold saws are gaining in popularity for good reason. Quick, good cut quality and clean air compared to abrasive saws. Watch out for hot chips though!

16. Fred says:

I continue to be impressed using my Morse (aka Evolution Saw). I was abit worried about life expectancy – based on the warnings in the instruction manual – but I think thay are conservative – or are based on very severe use. I use mine for metal roof decking – not plate steel.

17. Rodd Snyder says:

OK guys… here’s the down low. Not only do I sell these saws, I’ve used them as well. That’s one of the nice perks about my job, I get to use the demos for my personal projects.

How does the saw work? As somebody mentioned above, the saw’s ability to cut through steel, is because of the low RPM and the blade tooth geometry.

The Evolution saws turn at a much lower RPM that standard skill saws, or miter saws. We’ve had many people looking to save a buck and ask us if they could put an Evoluton blade on to a regular saw. Uhh no, not only would it be DANGEROUS, but also not cut.

As for the tooth geometry, well… that’s top secret! Evolution wont even disclose that information to us.

18. Dave Boyer says:

I just got an Evolution Rage saw. So far I have made several cuts through 1/4″x5″ hot rolled steel. It does make a clean cut with no bur and minimal heat. The paint doesn’t burn off the stock. I have the standard multi use blade. I notice that the deticated “steel” blade looks like other brands of steel cutting blade, but of course the devil is in the details, I don’t know if the tooth geometry is different or not. The spindle is 20MM, other blades have a 5/8 hole. I have a machine shop…

19. Seems likes the story has sorted out but just a few points for 2009:

1) Morse did sell Evolution saws until 2007. Anyone using the saws today are using two completely different machines. And to be completely above board, Morse does not manufacture the saw.

2)Evolution does not manufacture blades for M. K. Morse. The M. K. Morse Company is the blade manufacturer and Metal Devil blades are made in the U.S.A. You can see some of our manufacturing processes on YouTube:

3) As for the blade arbors, all of the blades manufactured – not just by Morse – will have the proper arbor for the required saw. For example the Metal Devil 7-1/4″ blade has a 5/8″ arbor with a knock-out for both diamond and circular arbors. We also manufacture blades with arbors for international saws.

This is still new technology for many distributors and end users alike. We demonstrate as much as possible to convey the features and benefits of a low RPM saw combined with a carbide tipped, metal cutting circular saw blade. I’ve watched many grown men flinch when I grab a just-cut piece of angle iron. But that’s about the only way to convince some folks.
    Happy Cutting,

20. John King says:

Bought evolution rage saw to cut meezzanine floor grating i.e 3 x 25 in the veritical 40mm apart. Does what it says. A lot quicker and more accurate than disc cutter. However this machine is very hard work for a left hander due to positioning of safety button on trigger.

21. Antony says:

I am in the uk
    I bought on rage 6 in 2012 so far I have had 3 replacements
    All burn out after very little use, now no more they don’t want to know, would if be silly enough to buy another one. don’t there rubbish

22. Brian says:

Were you using the saw commercially? It was noted that the saw has a 30 min duty cycle. Seems to me that it would be good for a hobbyist using it for a weekend project here and there but I wouldn’t expect it to hold up to daily jobsite use for very long.
    I own their cold chop saw for a few years now and pretty happy with it, thinking about getting the circular saw for those occasional long, straight cuts in sheet and plate.

23. Dustin says:

We have two in our shop an for the most part they do as claimed but with a little heat to the material we cut mostly 12″x 4″x 5/16″ thk steel tube the only bad part is the shaving

24. Ken Abrahamson says:

I have a chopsaw, Circular saw and the sliding miter. I love them. I use the chopsaw for most metal cutting and yes not the roman candle that you have with an abrasive chopsaw. The one I use the most and love is the circular saw. For large demos they are great. A former partner and I took down a 2 car garage with attic and 3 layers of roofing with this and only used up one blade. That is about the cost of 3 carbide recip saw blades. Finally the features and accessories on the sliding miter put it toward the top of mid range saws with the added versatility of having one saw to make both metal and wood components. The 2 negatives are the base on the slider is hard to mount on a stand the circular saw is hard to see the start of the cut on the material.

25. wyocoyote says:

Interesting, the true reviews don’t begin until further down the column of opinion.
    I understand how it works, lower rpms and a special blade, (a more protected motor to deal with metal I imagine) I see Dewalt and other larger manufactures now make a similar designs of metal cutting chopsaws and circular saws, even cordless models.
    I am curious as to the quality, the scaffolding guy in Ireland,the single blade garage demo person and the human who owns all three versions of the tool attest to good quality and performance. one dude in England says they are rubbish. They are very inexpensive on both amazon, and now home depot. You generally get what you pay for….
    curious about quality still.
    seems to me if tool designers put a speed switch on similar wood cutting tools, one could change out blades and be able to use one tool for metal and wood.

26. Mark says:

There have been a few bandsaws marketed in the past with double-reduction pulleys to allow metal or wood use (and articles on doing this to your own bandsaw). Generally, however, metal-cutting bandsaws are much beefier than wood-cutting, and often include a provision for feeding cooling/lubricating water-based oil to the cut.

27. Mark says:

…never mind…

I based my previous response on having read only the final comment, and kind of misconstrued the discussion. My response was a bit off-base.
    Oops…

28. Doug says:

I just purchased a few of their darker blue label blades for steel. The blades are junk. It cut well for about one minute. I am turning the blade with a Milwaukee steel saw.
    The blade sparked more than any other circular blade that I have used. I tried to cut cols rolled steel plate.