post-hitachidrillpress.jpg

The last of Hitachi’s latest round of benchtop woodworking tools, their 10″ drill press features — guess what? — a set of two-axis adjustable lasers.  Features that’ll strike home more with Toolmongers include five speed settings, a 1/3 hp motor, and a tilting, adjustable table top.

The table swings up to 45 degrees left and right, and you can adjust height with a rack-and-pinion gearing system — much better than my old press’ loosen-and-beat-on-it system.  The chuck accepts bits up to 1/2″, and the whole shebang weighs in at just over 60 pounds.

MSRP is set at $149, but we expect to see this selling for significantly less when it hits big box shelves at any moment.

10″ Drill Press, Model B13F [Hitachi]

7 Responses to Preview: Hitachi’s New 10″ Benchtop Drill Press

1. Rick says:

That’s not a bad price..
    Shoot.. at a slightly discounted street price, that’s within Holiday wishlist territory.

2. PutnamEco says:

I wonder why they don’t list the quill travel in the specs.

3. Chris Byrne says:

I feel like a broken record here, because all of the recent Hitachi announcements are for tools that Sears already sells under the craftsman label for a lower price.

I bought this exact drill press, sold as the Craftsman #21900 for $99 on sale (from $119)

4. l_bilyk says:

I agree with Chris Byrne. This is just your average chinese made drill press with a hitachi sticker on it.

5. cc says:

dang, somebody said that they scored the sears drill for $59 on sale in the reviews section.
    I would like a little advice about what to look for in a drill press that would be used for metal drilling more than wood drilling? Or is the only difference going to be the bit?

6. Chris Byrne says:

CC, you may want a variable speed and a chip clearing blower; but those are jsut nice extras. SO long as you have a reasonable speed adjustment mechanism, and a good and true table and chuck, you should be OK.

7. Teacher says:

The problem with most bench top drill presses is that the lowest speed is often 500-550rpm. For drilling metal speeds of 120-220 rpm are best. I have used my C-man bench top(made by Rexxon) to drill metal but the holes have been 1/4″ or less, I didn’t drill very many and I used lots of coolant.