post-carlumber2.jpg

I love pictures of hatchbacks and sedans cram-ass full of lumber.  It’s a full-on expression of the same concept Sean discussed earlier this week in his editorial on how you’ve got to forget all those people who think you need a high-buck shop — and a truck — to do any real woodworking or carpentry.

Screw them.  You can, and you know it.

And thanks to TM reader Rreimund for reminding us that it’s possible with this pic.

Toolmonger’s Photo Pool [Flickr]

10 Responses to Inspiration: More Lumber In The Car

1. Blaise Pascal says:

Fun is driving 5 miles down the highway home with several 4’x8′ sheets of plywood strapped to the roof of your hatchback. No pictures, but it was an interesting ride. Luckily, we’ve found a closer lumberyard since then.

2. Tyrone says:

Good job Rick.

3. Zathrus says:

I’ve left Home Depot with a handtruck full of lumber and various bits, pulled up my sedan, and had various workers standing around say “You gonna fit all that in there?”

That said I have a bunch of 4×8 sheets of plywood, pegboard, and a ton of wood to pickup sometime soon. I’ll rent one of the overpriced trucks for an hour and be done with it. Much cheaper than driving around an oversized car all the time — I’m just a weekend warrior, not a fulltime contractor.

4. DaleC says:

My local Lowes will deliver anything over 50.00 for free. I know they have a 2 or 3 day delay on getting stuff to you, but that’s just one reason I’ve always owned a truck. I don’t know about the local home depot. If I didn’t have a truck, I would certainly see what the requirement was for deliveries. Especially if I were able to eliminate the possibility of scratching the interior or exterior of my car.

5. fjr says:

I have some similar pictures.

I needed to do some shelves in my storage, I had Home Depot cut the boards down to 3ft x 6ft and loaded them into my CRX. It was a little heavy for the back hatch but it managed. 😀

I LOVE that car.

–Fjr

6. PDX says:

Reminds me of when I was doing four rooms of crown in a remodel. The lengths needed were 14 ft and at that time I was driving a Nissan Stanza. These cars carry a lot of volume but limit you on anything of length. Luckily, it had a moon roof. So, I bought four 12ft 2x4s and splinted four floppy crown pieces to each. I then stuck them through the moonroof until they reached the end of the hatchback. I drove down I-5 at 55mph and it looked ridiculous but everything reached the site in one piece, Nowadays, I am grateful for my fullsize truck that those jobs afforded me.

PDX

7. Rick (aka rreimund) says:

Haha… nice… I miss that car… hard to believe those pictures are going on 6 years old or so.

8. Wayne D. says:

I don’t have a pickup, and probably won’t get one since I don’t have room for another vehicle. What I am going to do is get a trailer hitch mount for the car and then just rent a flat trailer from U-haul when I need it. I totally agree with the idea that you don’t need a high priced shop to get things done, it just takes a little longer sometimes.

9. Tim says:

I bought one of those 4×8 folding trailers from Menards NU-WAY is the brand. Great for picking up large project supplies etc. The trailer was around $200 and included the light kit. Add the cost of a hitch and light plugin for the Mustang and I was all set. Only additional costs were a 4×8 sheet of plywood for the deck and some lumber to make sides. I constructed it so it can be set up and broken down in just a few minutes. Since it stands in the corner of my garage out of the weather it’ll last decades, takes up about 2×6 foot of floor space folded.

10. Andy says:

Sometimes having the right tool for the job avoids so much pain that you just have to have it, but I generally love making do with what I’ve got for pretty much any task. On one job, I fit three eight-foot 4×4 fenceposts, the concrete to set them, and all of my tools inside of my 1985 VW Golf and drove to the site with all the doors and windows closed. That model has a folding rear seat, of course, but not the front. I had a nice armrest for mah shiftin’ arm!