klenkknives.jpg

I’m getting older.  I don’t wear black socks with sandals while grilling out yet, but I’m getting there.  So when I saw Klenk’s “dual duct knife” I instantly thought, “that’s a stiletto someone’s trying to pass for a work knife.”  And after a closer look, I still think that’s what it is.

With either the traditional rosewood handle or the new ergonomic rubber handle, Klenk’s Duct knife has an 11” double sided blade in a sloping, tear drop form.  That’s a boot dagger, not a utility knife.

I’m sure it does a number on flex-ducting and insulation, but calling a dagger a “utility knife” really isn’t going to fool anybody when it’s hanging from your hip in a combat style, ripstop nylon sheath.

Still, if you’re a civilian Rambo — and don’t mind homeowners calling 911 every time you show up for a contracting job — street pricing starts at $12.

Dual Duct Knife [Klenk]
Street Pricing [Google Product Search]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

9 Responses to A Dagger In Sheeps Clothing

1. Fred says:

Yeah, that’s a boot knife.

Check with your local laws. I live where carrying “fighting knives” is banned. A fighting knife being defined as double edged.

2. Old Donn says:

Local laws for sure. Around here, the Man can nab you for any blade over three inches, regardless of edge. Eleven inch boot knife? They better be hip boots.

3. Ray says:

I have seen HVAC guys on job sites used knives like these to cut that foil and fiberglass duct board. Other people make them as well.

4. Chris Byrne says:

Yeah, I’m reasonably certain that in New Jersey, California, and Massachusetts, that’ll get you jail time.

Silly laws, but there you are. Any time you try and “protect” by banning an inanimate object, you end up with stupid laws, violations of people rights, and in general government getting in the way of jobs being done.

5. Mike says:

After 10 weeks on grand jury duty I learned that your answer to why you have the knife is amost as important as the kind of knife it is. Say it’s for protection and you’re changed with carrying a weapon. Say it’s for cutting carpet and you walk.

6. PT says:

In California at least, you should be ok, as long as you aren’t concealing the knife. Local ordinances of course could change that.

7. CyberKender says:

It’s a dagger, not a stiletto, if we’re going to quibble. :>

Having looked up the California laws on carrying knives rather closely, you’re mostly up to the whims of the officer and judge. The laws are very vague as to what, specifically, constitutes a ‘ready stabbing or cutting’ weapon. Technically, a Bic pen qualifies. However, an 11″ double-edged blade will almost certainly give an office reason to investigate, if not arrest. Also, remember that local ordinances supersede state and Federal ones. You’re sure to be arrested for carrying that (Openly or not) in Yolo County, for instance.

8. PT says:

The only state requirement for a dirk or dagger “(24) As used in this section, a “dirk” or “dagger” means a knife or other instrument with or without a handguard that is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death.” is that is not concealed. I am not familiar with Yolo County so YMMV. If I were a contractor on a job site, I would not be too concerned. A lot of tools can easily be used as weapons, the FatMax Jabsaw (and would be illegal to carry concealed by the above definition) is similar in size to this and would scare me more as a weapon (This duct knife is 11″ overall. I’m guessing the blade is about 6-6.5″). Pruning saws could easily be used as weapons and usually have very long blades. Context is very important to the situation.

9. Joel says:

I have one of these klenk knives your talking about. I’m a commercial roofer a I love this knife for cutting insulation. I don’t care for the non-serrated side to much but,if you guy’s really want to get technical on what’s a weapon you better just start cutting your steak with a butter knife..