post-bhadj.jpg

The seller of this eBay find claims that the items in the picture are “a rare pair of two different styles of Blackhawk vintage adjustable wrenches.”  They’re pretty strange-looking, and damn if I can tell what they are.  Have any of you seen these before?  For what are they used?  Let us know in comments.

“Vintage” Blackhawk Adj. Wrenches [eBay]

14 Responses to eBay: Vintage Blackhawk Adjustable Wrenches?

1. Andy says:

They look like internal/ external drain plug (or possibly drum plug /bung) wrenches.

2. smoore says:

Andy has it. It’s a bung wrench with a plug wrench at 90 deg.

3. Ray says:

Yep thats a bung wrench! The gold hue is a dead give away as most of these are beryllium, so as not to create sparks. Generally speaking sparks and many of the thinks shipped in drums are a bad combination.

4. martin says:

Here’s another. Think it may be an early automobile wrench?

5. Dan says:

Looks, to me, like an old-style tube flaring tool.

6. Jack says:

Looking at the square drive in several sizes, my guess is that they are universal tap handles. Hard to gage the size, except for the knurling on the knobs, but they look about the right size.

7. Jim says:

The best bicycle wrench I ever owned, circa 1957. Twist the handle, tighten the wrench around the nut, then spin the wrench on or off.

8. Larry Stewart says:

You can see them at Alloy Artifacts on google under Blackhawk manfacturing history. Drain plugs wrenches.

9. John says:

My Dad has one of these that belonged to his Dad. He says they were used for checking rear ends.

10. Andy and John have it. they were used to remove bungs and turn external drain valves.. They would remove square drive recessed plugs or bungs..in barrells kegs, vehicle rear ends etc…

11. Henry Teter says:

I just acquired one of these at a yard sale for 25 cents…….can barely read what it says on handle but enough to find you guys talking about it….so its a multi purpose kinda wrench….very cool

12. abbynorm1174@sbcglobal.net says:

My dad taught at Spartan until 1950 and then worked for Douglas which became McDonnell Douglas. I found one of these in his tools when he passed. I don’t know if that helps anyone, but he didn’t really work on cars.

13. I have a Blackhawk tool like this is anyone interested in it ?