Bose-MOP-Swing-Guard.jpg

With the Cheetah on its way to “the vault,” I found Case’s announcement of the Tony Bose-designed Swing Guard lock blade knife to be welcome news.  This limited-production blade looks a lot like the Cheetah, but adds a classic “swell center” (read: the pointy bits in the middle).

An excerpt from Case’s press release talks a bit about the knife’s exotic handle materials:

The new Case/Bose Swing-Guard Lock will be available in limited quantities and a variety of handle materials: 300 in standard-jigged antique bone, 300 in standard-jigged brown bone, 200 in ebony wood, 100 in abalone, and 100 in genuine mother-of-pearl.  Standard features include distinctive stainless steel bolsters and a vintage shield design that’s pinned to the knife’s interior scale.  The knife’s mid-tumbler locking mechanism holds the opened 4-3/8” clip blade in place.  Each measures 5-1/4” overall when closed.

For those who don’t know him, Tony Bose is a member of the knife making guild and has been making knives for a very long time.  His designs, much like many of Case’s offerings, are classic in appearance but thoroughly modern in material and construction.

Swing guards have always been a favorite of mine because they just look cool.  It’s difficult to find ’em because they’re a pain in the ass to make.  As Tony says in the press release, “It’s no wonder there weren’t many of them made.”

If you’re into sweet, limited edition, old-school-looking knives, the Swing Guard locks will be available soon.  We recomend that you talk to your local dealer early because with so few scheduled for manufacturing, this is destined to become an instant collector’s item.

Swing Guard-Lock Knife [Press Release]

7 Responses to Preview: Case & Tony Bose’s Swing-Guard Lock Knife

1. Blind says:

I seem to be missing the value of the guard. Might someone explain?

2. Sean O'Hara says:

Well “value” might be a strong term for what the guard actually does. 😉 Technically it’s supposed to function like any other cross guard. The chances that you are actually going to use the knife in any fashion that would require its presence are kinda slim.

For all practical purposes it’s really a slick feature that looks cool and is rare in modern knives.

3. Jon says:

Looks like it’s only really useful in knife on knife/sword fights… otherwise, it’s just pretty decoration.

4. joe says:

The non-combat benefit of the cross guard is that your hand is less likely to slide forward onto the blade when you stab something. In theory, anyway. I suppose if had ever slipped forward like that and sliced myself, I would pay the extra money for the cross-guard.

5. Blind says:

except it looks like the guard swivels so your fingers can still slip forward over the blade and the guard would never stop you.

6. T says:

My dad has carried a Cheetah for as long as I can remember. When the blade is in the locked position, the guard has some wiggle to it but not enough so it will slip out of the way. I always though the crossguard was spiffy as a kid, but now I’m in the meh camp. I don’t have one on any of my pocket knives and I’ve never missed it. Most of my big knives have them, but that’s an entirely different application.

7. bill king says:

OK,Anybody heard or know about a 10dot with bone and tourquise scales case swingblade?