walkway.jpg

Even I — admittedly, I don’t do a lot of gardening — can see where a 15’ path would help keep you and your wheelbarrow out of the mud and muck, and that’s what this lightweight roll-out plastic walkway provides.  It almost seems inspired by film clips of old Army bridging units.

Basically, the roll-out pathway basically soil compaction and covers up muddy spots by spreading the weight of a person (and load) cross a 10” span.  You can also roll out multiple lengths and connect them together to form a longer pathway.

The only downer: once you’ve successfully navigated the mud or water, you’ve got to roll up a walkway completely covered in muck on one side.  You’ll need to clean it with a hose. Then again, that’s a small price to pay for not walking in gunk all day.

Pricing starts at $25.

Roll-Out Walkway [Gardener’s Supply]
Street Pricing [Google Product Search]

6 Responses to Bridging The Mud In Your Backyard

1. eschoendorff says:

That is totally cool! If it didn’t cost $25, I’d have one by now….

2. Scraper says:

I just use straw in my garden. Every fall the wife likes to use straw bales for decoratation in the yard. So after Thanksgiving, I store the bales in the garden plot. (I set mine on an old pallet and cover them with an old tarp.) The next spring, after the garden is tilled and planted, spread the straw over the entire garden.
    1. It helps hold moisture in the soil
    2. It helps insulate the seeds during the cool, spring nights
    3. It makes pulling weeds very easy
    4. It gives you a nice surface to walk on, that is not muddy.
    5. And at the end of the growing season, simply till it into the soil and let it decompose.

3. jeff says:

Grass clippings can be used too if straw isn’t available.

4. Scraper says:

I have heard of people using grass clippings for the same purpose, but I am afraid that might lead to more weeds the next year. But maybe I am paraniod?

5. David Culberson says:

Nope, you’re not paranoid. I fought weeds constantly when I was putting grass clippings in my garden. I think there are a lot of weed (and grass) seeds mixed in with clippings, and the clippings provide a perfect nurturing environment for the seeds to germinate. It usually wasn’t “the next year” for me, either, but just a month or two later! I just mulch my clippings into the yard now..

6. jeff says:

Well, if you have weeds in the yard, you’ll have weeds in the clippings too. Also, if you let your grass get to the seed stage you’ll have grass seed in there too. I have had good luck with it before straw is in season.