post-headlight.jpg

Hazy plastic headlights just scream “worn out,” and often make an otherwise-well-cared-for ride look down-and-out.  Here’s the cure: a restoration kit that lets you polish away the fog to better light night roads and lop years of your aging car.

This kit from Eastwood includes abrasive plastic polish, a Velcro-backed foam pad and felt pad, plus a mandrel that fits in your drill to drive ’em.  You just blop some of the polish on the foam pad, then drill-polish off the fog.  Finish with a felt polish.

I’ve done this before with less abrasive polishes, and I’ve had pretty good luck waxing the finished product to protect it and stave off re-fogging.  It’s $40.

Plastic Headlight Restoration Kit [Eastwood Co.]

7 Responses to Cure Those Hazy Headlights

1. noname says:

Unless you have a really badly fogged up set of headlights toothpaste will do the same thing for a WHOLE lot less money.

2. Stuey says:

I tried two methods. Nu plastic polish, and a drill mandrel w/ abrasive foam pads. The Nu polish was fairly cheap and the drill kit was a measely $10 or so at Napa.

Now, 6 months later, my headlights are just as hazy and just as yellow.

Any product suggestions as to how to prevent them from rehazing?

3. Uncle Flea says:

I have a REALLY bad fogged set on a car with 194,000 miles. After a lot of research, I’m about to do this job myself. From what I have read elsewhere, the thing that is missing in this kit is the clear coat that keeps the haze from coming back. There is one company that offers it in their kit, as I recall. There are several of these kits out there. Sorry, I don’t recall who it was. I decided to piece the elements together myself since I had a buffer already. Spend some time on the web and it’ll turn up.

Apparently the plastic headlights come from the factory with a clear coat that wears off after a good bit. Mine has a definite line where the uppermost portion, more exposed to the sun, is oxidized away. I think I’ll have to remove the rest of the oxidized clear coat before I can even begin to polish the plastic underneath.

I read somewhere that you wet sand with 600 then 1200, and finally 2000 grit, then you get to apply a polish/compound like in this kit. I bought a 6.00 spray bomb of clear coat for the big finale. I’ll try to post before and after picks in the Flickr pool if it turns out decent.

4. DaleC says:

I had a 99 Tacoma Prerunner truck that looked great except for the headlights yellowed. I sprayed the headlights with Castrol Superclean, and you could literally watch as the yellow tinged liquid dripped off the bumper. It didn’t return them to new, but it got rid of 3/4 of the yellow. I followed up with some fine polish and wax, and they did look better. I concur with the idea of adding a clear coat. Had I kept the vehicle, I would have done that.

CAUTION: Castrol SuperClean is sodium hydroxide, and will seriously damage aluminum and anodized metals. Don’t get it near your wheels.

5. Jon says:

Another option is Brasso and elbow grease. Look it up! The lenses are most likely Polycarbonate, the same thing CD’s and DVD’s are made of.

6. Joe says:

Aluminum polish will clean them up too. I did my 96 Mustang about three years ago and they still look good as new. Total cost under $5.

7. Teacher says:

I think any fine abrasive will work. I’ve used rubbing compound, polishing compound, 1500 and 2000 grit wet-dry sandpaper, toothpaste and they’ve all worked.