trenchfoot.jpg

The Trench Foot attaches to your shovel to provide a small step you can push on instead of grinding the ball of your foot into the shovel’s thin metal edge.  It connects to other garden tools, too, often giving you purchase on tools where you’d traditionally have none.

The ‘Foot’s footpad is wide and non-slip, and works with most any diggin tool.  It secures snugly in place over the most leveraged part of the tool, which is right above the head. The mounting bracket fits over “D,” “T,” and stick shaped handles, and is built solidle to endure heavy use.

And for $10 it looks like the Trench Foot could find its way into a few gardens without much headache.

Trench Foot [Awesome Unusual Tools]

8 Responses to Use The Trench Foot To Save Your Foot

1. cpw says:

There are three pictures here…the next would be lowering the handle to get a good grip and lifting the dirt out. The Trench Foot would be in the way of lowering the handle–does not seem practical to me and lifting from the position of the third picture is difficult.

Additionally, plastic and slippery mud do not mix–I see myself putting my foot on that plastic, slipping and finding myself impaled on the shovel handle. 😛

Two comments based on never having used the device–if anyone has used it in the real world, please comment!

• Kim Emde says:

This tool works very well. It is an absolute must for shovels since it prevents the metal from digging into your shoe. It gives a better platform for pushing, especially if you’re not strong. The hard plastic is never slippery and is very tough. It interferes with movement only if you are scooping dirt, in which case you’d just slip it off. I’ve used it for over ten years, and it is definitely worth it.

2. Jake says:

Looks to me in the third photo that you could just keep lowering the handle, so I’m not sure what you’re going for cpw.

File this one under “I could’ve thought of that!”

3. Blind says:

I’m disturbed by the name (my friend having lovely stories of his feet having trench foot after spending lots of time in the swamps of Alabama). It looks like it should flip out of the way fine for lifting the soil away, but I wonder how much resetting is needed between thrusts.

4. wehrlebyrd says:

I was interested in one, but man, 10 bucks just to ship the thing? I’ll wait till I can get it at Lowe’s.

5. Mark says:

I personally like to jump onto the shovel with both feet to drive it all the way in. This trench-foot looks like a good way to pull your achilles tendon …

6. Roscoe says:

It’s not uncommon to see a foot pad on one side of nursery spades, seems like a much simpler design to me.

Here’s an example: http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=ksfp

7. Rob says:

Don’t knock it ’till you try it. I’ve got one, and I find that it works great!

The plastic is sturdy (I weigh 205 lbs.), and the step is bumpy enough to provide adequate grip. Plus, I haven’t had any problems with lowering the handle deep down into the dirt or lifting up the shovel with it attached. It tends to slip up on the handle a little sometimes, but you can easily re-adjust it with your foot.

You can buy it for $9.95 (+ $4.95 S&H) at http://www.TreegatorDirect.com/shop/trenchfoot