post-steelcity.jpg

The great guys over at Popular Woodworking found what’s probably the “next big thing” in table saws: granite tops.  According to PW, a company called Steel City Tool Works will unveil a 10″ table saw later this year that incorporates a 150-pound, 2″-thick slab of granite as a table top.

Strange as it sounds, it does offer some advantages — specifically that it’s flat to within a couple thousandths of an ince, and it’ll never rust or warp.  And according to PW, it’s not even going to be that expensive.  Try $1,049 for a 1-3/4 hp model.

The saw isn’t on Steel City’s website yet, but the PW blog post is loaded with pictures, so we linked it below.

(Thanks, Dano, for the tip!)

Exclusive: Steel City Will Rock Your World [Popular Woodworking]

10 Responses to A Granite-Topped Table Saw

1. Mark says:

Pretty cool, I was skeptical of the miter gage slots, but sounds like they have addressed it. Cost?

2. nrChris says:

They also have a titanium nitride coated table top that is supposed to be the real deal. After spending over four hours restoring a very rusted cast iron table top back to a mirror shine, I can certainly appreciate the quest for alternative yet heavy tops. I would miss being able to use magnetic accessories though.

3. joel says:

Not surprising… these slabs have been commonly used in tool rooms and modelmaking shops for precision measuring and sanding, etc… I personally don’t expect that kind of accuracy out of my table saw but some people do.

4. SuperJdynamite says:

I see granite slabs being offered up for free on CraigsList from time to time. Are all slabs of granite ground perfectly flat or is it just slabs marketed for such a purpose?

5. l_bilyk says:

All this is fine and dandy, but lets not forget that wood moves. You can make you woodworking project with machine shop accuracy, but there is no guarantee it will remain that way a few years down the road.

6. Ray says:

This gives me an idea, I was going to build some good extension tables from my saw out of melamine coated mdf. I going to have to look around for a cheep sheet of solid surface couter top material (i.e. Corian) I bet that you make some sweet extentions.

Pimp my saw!

7. l_bilyk says:

Just go with MDF extensions. The sanding tolerance on cabinet grade MDF is very small.

8. JamesBrauer66 says:

Wouldn’t this top loose it’s finish at some point, and become a fairly rough surface? What happens to glue drips that get on granite? Probably be pretty tough to drill this top for a new rip fence. Isn’t granite sealer mostly silicone? How hard can you whack it with a hammer before it cracks?

I dunno about this, like the guy above, wood moves and compresses, and doesn’t require that much precision.

9. bob says:

At work we have a 2 ton granite slab about the size of a pool table, that we use for calibration of all kinds of linear measurement tools (Micrometers, gauge blocks, etc.) The granite top is super flat and very heavy. The surface is cool to the touch & really useful for layout work as well. I know we keep ours covered with a padded vinyl cover to keep it from getting nicked or gouged.

I don’t think that the wood use would damage the top, but if your table saw doubles as a layup table you may end up damaging it when you put down your hammer or your pipe clamps fall over. I think that a metal top would be better unless you have a moisture problem that causes everything to rust.

10. Granite says:

Very interesting post you wrote. Glad I have stumbled upon it. Cheers!