speedy stitcher

Your arm power pushes this “sewing awl” through even heavy materials — like canvas and leather — to make lockstitches just like a sewing machine.  Except unlike a machine, the ‘Stitcher is portable and really, really cheap.

The ‘Stitcher is a classic, made in the USA since 1909, and it’s one of those tools that’s so useful you’ll wonder how you ever got along without it.  I’ve carried mine for years, repairing camping gear and sewing up automotive strapping and cloth.  It’s quite durable, and stitches just as well as an industrial sewing machine.

It lists for $10, but we found it for $8 online — and we’ve heard of it going for as little as $2 on sale.  Most of the time it ships with two needles and some thread, but we’ve seen numerous combination kits including other materials as well.

Speedy Stitcher [Corporate Site]
Street Pricing  [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s this?]

9 Responses to Speedy Stitcher: Much Better Than a Safety Pin

1. Kaden says:

Yowza!! I’ve used these things for years. I usually load it up with waxed cobblers thread and use it to stitch together anything that *needs* to be made from tough-ass leather.

It doesn’t take a whole lot of practice to get proficient enough to go all fartsy fartsy on leatherwork either:

I use brass beaders wire to achieve that popular-with-the-ladies ‘tough but sensitive’ aesthetic. I used to pre-prep by meticulously measuring and marking stitch spacing, but now I just layout the stitch line/pattern in Illustrator, print it out and tack it down on the hide with stencil adhesive. It’s a chick magnet, I tell you… a chick magnet!

2. Rick says:

KCIWWP

Kaden’s
    Is
    Worthless
    Without
    Pictures

3. Kaden says:

Lemme see what I can rustle up

4. Hank says:

Like Kaden, but perhaps not as exacting as he, but not as demanding as Rick, though Rick has such right, I have used one of these for years also. When young, for repairing saddles, etc. Last few years just doing stitching of all kinds, mainly leather goods.

Takes some practice but it works. Read the directions.

5. I want one. I can totally see so many times when I could have used that.

6. TMIB_Seattle says:

Thanks for the links, Toolmonger. I used one of these many years ago and found it incredibly useful for leatherworking. Stitching leather by hand with an awl is very slow and tedious, but with one of these it’s quite nice. Never knew what they were called or where to get them until now though.

–TMIB

7. Eddie says:

Would this work well to make my own tool roll out of leather or nylon or maybe just denim?

8. Nick Carter says:

Sure. But it would take a while.

9. jenny says:

THe stitcher from Harbor Freight is a knock off and the needles and thread are cheap and do not provide the quality stitching that most people want. Use the real thing- it works better and is made in the good old USA!