post-wd40-2.jpg

Whether they love it or hate it, almost every Toolmonger has a can of WD-40 on a shelf somewhere around the shop.  Now the Tacoma Wheelmen’s Bicycle club has assembled a list of 1,997 “unofficial” uses for everyone’s favorite water dispersant.  Take a gander, but beware of #389: “Makes deadbolt locks work better.”  You don’t want to go there.

(Thanks, Mr. South, for the great CC-licensed photo.)

2,000 Unofficial Uses For WD-40 [Tacoma Wheelmen’s Club]

7 Responses to Almost 2,000 Uses For WD-40

1. David Culberson says:

I have used WD40 type lubes to help *clean* a lock cylinder (when disassembled on my bench) but usually rinse (mineral spirits) and use a silicone based lube before reassembly.

Anybody know if that’s bad?

(Crossing fingers .. I’ve done that to dozens of lock cylinders over the years. 😉

2. Fred says:

Here is a Google video of another thing to NOT do with WD40

[Note: Not safe for work due to language.  But funny none the less!]

3. SuperJdynamite says:

“Anybody know if that’s bad?”

I use dry graphite lube in locks with good results. The problem with wet lubricants is that they trap dust which can affect the operation of fine mechanisms such as door locks.

4. Ian says:

I’ve found wd-40 to be just the thing to get gum out of hair…

5. Stuey says:

Due to the resolution I’m not certain, but it looks like the can was smashed while a flame was already lit close by.

6. Stuey says:

You know, after taking a longer look at that list, I’d recommend not blindly trusting their suggestions.

When I bought a bike a few months ago, I checked out a few biking forums to help me dive into the sport. Of course one of the first things I looked into was the tools and maintenance threads.

The one thing that everyone says when it comes to proper bike gear maintenance is this: do NOT use WD40 as a lubricant.

If this site, a biking club nonetheless, recommends using WD40 as a lube, I wonder what else they’ve got wrong.

7. dave says:

WD40 “can” work as a _RE_lube, even though it pales in comparison to other lubes. When you have an existing product were the grease has hardened, WD40 can get some of it back into suspension and worked into wear areas. It’s a temporary fix till you can tear down, clean, lube properly and reassemble.

Whether you can use a dry lube in locks depends on whether the components are prone to corrosion due to metal type used or the environment. A little dust in a lock isn’t as bad as a lot of corrosion and it cleans off a lot easier too (just soak and agitate, work the parts back and forth in a gasoline/oil mixture to clean and relube in one step. Also, if you use a dry lube then stick a wet key in, you can get a compacting of the lube into a concrete-like gunk which impacts use of the mechanism. Not always, of course it’ll depend on how much lubricant, tolerances of mechanism, how much water, how much time, etc.