hot-or-not3.jpg
chuckdriver.jpg

This looks simple enough: your 1/4″ insert bit goes in the tip, which then fits over your drill’s 3/8″ chuck so you can switch from drilling to driving in a hurry.  But we’re a little dubious.  Black & Decker though enough of the idea to manufacture drills with a removable chuck, but are these just more versions of the ever-infamous Dual Drill?

One positive note: the “chuck buddy” will set you back less than a buck.  What do you think?  Is this junk or a good idea?  Let us know in comments.

Chuck Buddy [American Science and Surplus]
Via Amazon [What’s this?]

9 Responses to Hot or Not? The “Chuck Buddy” Driver Adapter

1. Eric says:

I’ve never been happy with the black and decker drill with the removable chuck. My dad owns one, and it’s just more trouble than it’s worth, you never know what to do with the chuck when you take it off, do you try and hold it, put it down somewhere? It’s just easier to change bits. The only time I switch back and forth a lot is when I’m pre-drilling holes, and It’s a lot easier to just use the craftsman counter sink bit that you just flip over. At least with that you don’t have an extra piece to try and hold on to.

2. Kelley Nelson says:

Under a buck? Is it made of the same stuff they make wax lips candy from?

3. Stuey says:

I miss my B&D Firestorm that had the swapable chuck. I gave it to my father when I upgraded to a 1/2″ chuck Hitachi.

If I need to swap between drill bit and driver bit very frequently, I whip out the mini driver.

With the B&D Li-ion driver going for $35 or so, copycats going for less, and the Bosch going for $120, there’s enough selection that one doesn’t have to settle for gimmicks like these. If you must have one tool to do it all, deal with the swapping or go for a Firestorm.

4. ambush27 says:

You can get a decent corded drill for around $20 to use for drilling and keep your cordless for driving.

5. Michael W. says:

I have several various drill/driver combos (mostly for drilling pilot holes for specific screw sizes) including a Firestorm (which is still running, albeit with a ‘”crunchy” grinding noise). For occasional use they’re fine, but when you’re hustling trying to get something done they also seemed to bog me down.
    I stopped using them a while ago. Now I simply use separate drill/drivers. I really prefer the Bosch PS120 for most driving uses.

6. Koba says:

I really wonder where most people’s minds are when they talk about getting seperate drills for drilling and driving. I recentlt bought a Craftsman “combo” set w/ a drill and an impact driver. Now I almost exclusively use the impact for screwing, and I simply don’t know how I got along without it. BTW drill bits fit in a shirt pocket, a whole chuck not so much.

7. hiyabba says:

I just counter-sunk and deck-screwed 60 ft of fence using a Craftsman “flip” bit….one side has the counter-sinking pilot hole, move the collar and the other side has the screw head…. Didn’t have to mess with my chuck for the whole job

8. Buck says:

Since it’s from American Science & Surplus, it is, by definition, hot.

Not necessarily for what it’s originally intended to do, in fact, most of the time not what it was intended to do.

Where else do you find a pile of VT100 terminals next to a stack of WWII era gas masks?

I miss having one nearby. It’s an awesome store.

9. Last time I was in Chicago, I stopped in for some labware and gizmos. I commented to the cashier that “Last time I was in here, the company was called Jerryco!”, and she just stopped cold, looked reeeeealy closely at me, and said “How old ARE you?”.

“I was five at the time! sheesh!” “Oh.”