Craftsman 7 pc. Metric Stubby Locking Flex Wrench Set

These combo wrenches are short, flexible, and on sale over at Sears through Saturday. For $100 you get sevenwrenchs in sizes 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17, and 18mm. The ratcheting box end flexes through 180-degrees and locks into 9-position. They’re pretty thin and also boast a 5-degree ratcheting arc — great for digging yourself out of low-clearance messes.

Craftsman 7 Pc. Metric Stubby Wrench Set #42041 [Sears]

14 Responses to Dealmonger: Craftsman Metric Stubby Set For $100

1. Stuey says:

What’s great about these is that you can lock the angle in; you cannot do that with some others such as Gearwrench ones. The downside to this is that the ratchet mechanism is not reversible.

While I’ve needed to use a stubby every now and then, I don’t think I’d go for a flex-head stubby set, especially at this price. If anything, I think that a set of fixed-head stubbies and a set of full sized flex-heads might be a better mix of tools.

Also, if you have to adjust these to a steep angle, you’re going to have a very difficult time turning the fastener. A regularly sized wrench set to the same angle is going to provide at least double the torque.

If I ever find myself needing flex-head stubbies, I’ll likely either improvise somehow or buy them one size at a time.

2. Old Donn says:

The uses for these are pretty limited. Are they worth a “C” note? Guess that’s up to you. The problem these share with other ratcheting boxes is clearence. They won’t fit into tight spaces. If you need stubbys, the standard issue will do. Aside to Stuey. One at a time gets pretty expensive.

3. Stuey says:

Yes, one at a time does get expensive and suggesting it went against my nature, but if you only need three sizes, $65

4. Stuey says:

Hmm, it cut out my “less than” sign. Anyways, I meant to say, $65 is still less than $100.

5. Tank says:

You can buy the stubby reversible ratcheting set at Home Depot for $55 bucks. More useful than a stubby locking flex.

6. Steve O says:

Yeah, but Home Depot’s wrenches stink… I wouldn’t buy anything there!

7. Stuey says:

You’ve got GearWrench ratcheting (non-reversable) ones for $50 also.

Steve O, did you have or read about bad experiences with the Huskys or are you (as I am) just randomly biased against them?

8. John says:

I must just be cheap, because any set of 7 wrenches for $100 isn’t a deal to me. They’d have to throw in Bob Villa as well to make it worth it. I mean, you can get a decent craftsman mechanics set for that.

9. Tank says:

For ratcheting wrenches, the Husky Pro line is actually better quality than Craftsman. They’ll take more torque without breaking, and the ratchet pawl will last longer. I don’t know about Home Depot’s traditional wrenches.

10. Stuey says:

I felt up the Craftsman reversible ratchet wrenches (fixed head) and they feel pretty good, almost identical to the GearWrench ones. I don’t like the feel of the non-reversible ones though; they just don’t feel right.

Next time I’m at HD w/ a gift card, I’ll take a look at the Husky Pro line as Tank suggested. Thanks for the headsup!

On another note, the catalog quotes these flex-head stubbies as $109. So at $100, it’s a deal but not immense deal. That doesn’t really matter though since these are probably tools that you NEED when you need them.

11. Steve O says:

Tank / Stuey –

If you want torque in a ratcheting wrench, try the pawless design by Danaher Tool (Craftsman, Armstrong, Lowes). The Husky Pro line can’t come close to this heavy duty ratcheting wrench. The Pawl will fail in high torque applications.

Google this:
    Craftsman 14 pc. Pawless Ratcheting Wrench Set

Sears item #00942435000 Mfr. model #42435

12. Tank says:

We have a set of those at work, but I think it’s an 8-piece set. They never get used. The ratcheting is like something from the 1930’s.

13. Steve O says:

Yeah – the pawless wrenches aren’t built for finesse. We use them for breaking loose and ratcheting the high-torque stuff – more industrial use than automotive.

14. Spanky says:

I have just seen the pawless wrenches in the new Craftsman catalog. They look like sprag drive. Can anyone tell me if this is the case or is it something diffrent? I cant wait to get to Sears to check them out but I don’t know how long it will be before I can get there. Steve-o and Tank it sounds like you guys have some firsthand knowledge.