trojanmitersawstand.jpg

This great “Miter Saw Stand Madness” video demonstrates a slew of miter saw stands and discusses the features and potential benefits of each.  In the video, Fine Homebuilding contributing editor Mike Guertin reviews four classes of stands: rail/sawhorse, tabletop, extending, and some unique products that are either hybrids of the other types or that stand in a class of their own.

Several of the stands he shows have been featured here at Toolmonger, but this video gives you a chance to both see them in action — a great way to compare different feature sets and brands.  I found the video to be very interesting and informative, particularly for someone like me for whom a miter saw stand has always meant a workbench or some wood plopped on top of sawhorses.

Pictured above is the Trojan Work Center stand which Mike and his co-writer Rick Arnold declared to be “probably [their] favorite saw stand of all.”  It’s equally appealing to me, primarily because once you remove the 2×6 or 2×8 of your preferred length, there’s not much left to store — and because Mike and Rick say it’s sturdy and versatile.

If you’re considering adding a miter saw stand to your tool collection, this video’s worth ten minutes of your time.

Video: Miter-Saw-Stand Madness [Taunton Press Fine Homebuilding]

12 Responses to How To Choose a Miter Saw Stand

1. BarelyFitz says:

This is such a tease… the Bosch gravity rise miter-saw stand still doesn’t seem to be available for purchase anywhere.

Can we get a list of links for the others?

2. nrChris says:

Toolmonger seriously needs to check out the Ridgid MSUV. Keep putting it off and I am going to shoot and review my own. Seriously.

3. Lew says:

For my last renovation project, I finally researched and purchased a miter saw stand. To date, one of my best ‘non-tool’ purchases.

When I was ready to buy, I did my research and checked out as many stands as I could. Finally, I picked up the Delta Universal Miter Saw (UMS) Stand at Lowes (on sale) – and it is perfect for me. I am a weekend warrior – not a professional contractor. I wanted a stand that was extremely stable, reasonably portable (fold it down – wheel it about) and fold with my SCMS attached, so I can store it away when I am not doing home renovation.

What sold me was its stability when I am using it. The Delta model provides me with a steady base and keeps my saw stable when in use. I found the ‘rail system’ stands to feel flimsy. I did not like the idea that my saw would ‘balance’ on a rail. Your mileage may vary.

Once you fasten your miter saw to the Delta UMS Stand, it is very easy to set up and use. It folds quickly and can be easily moved in both the upright or compact position. I won’t lie – it is heavy once you have your miter saw on it. But, if you see in the video, the Delta stand easily pops up and locks in place – even with the saw on it. The tires are heavy duty and wheeling it about is very easy.

It took me about 20 minutes to assemble the stand, once I got it home. The instructions were complete and easy to follow.

The pro-contractors I know speak highly about the ‘rail system’ stands they own. They are lightweight, breakdown quickly and are extremely portable. Things they demand since they move their saw from one job site to another.

Whichever type you choose, in the end, you will not be sorry.

4. Roscoe says:

I’ll second the Bosch cooment about the huge delay on their gravity-rise. I’ve been waiting for months and can’t wait to get my Bosch saw off of sawhorses. If they don’t have it out by fall, I’m going to take a good hard look at the Delta gravity-rise.

5. Russ says:

I question the need for a dedicated miter saw stand. Sure if you do a huge amount of sawing it might break even, but I was able to build a 700 square foot pool deck with a pair of plastic saw horses and 5 two by fours as a miter saw stand. To me this setup seems much easier and economical for smaller projects and any thing a weekend warrior could encounter.

6. Lew says:

I did the same thing, on and off, for 20 years – setting up my saw horses, 2x4s, and my miter saw. With 3 more bathrooms and a kitchen renovation in my future, I decided the time was right, for me, to get one.

Weekend warriors work on the weekends or whenever time permits. Therefore actual work time is often limited and clean up between those work times is important.

We are talking about convenience, nothing more.

For $100, my miter saw stand offers me the convenience of wheeling my SCMS (which is heavy) to my project, popping it up, plugging it in and working. When I am done for the day/weekend, I clean it off, compact it, and wheel it back to my shop.

7. Roscoe says:

The other big benefit of a dedicated stand is that most are equipped with infeed/outfeed supports, which make is much easier and safer to cut long trim to length. This is a big deal for someone working alone.

8. Ivan says:

This looks like a very nice set. Though so far I have been delaying the purchase of one. Reading from my fellow toolmongers it seems that everyone is postponing until the big jobs are done. So why do we always want to save the money till we no longer can stand it anymore and go fetch one. Rather than upfront having the tools we need to make it easier from the first job on?

9. Fong says:

Bosch’s T4B Gravity Rise Stand is supposed to ship the first of August (according to the customer service rep that took my pre-order). It’s much pricier than everyone’s expecting at $279 but maybe it’ll come down once it’s out everywhere: http://www.ohiopowertool.com/item-detail.cfm?&ID=T4B

10. Kurt Schwind says:

Trojan thinks a LOT of that stand as I went to get one thinking it’d be a hundred bucks or so and I was told it was closer to 200. That’s a pair of legs, some rollers and a plate to mount a saw to. That seemed excessive.

I’ve been looking at stands now (especially since I’ll be rebuildling a good bit of my deck soon) and I’m waiting on the Ridgid MSUV to go on sale. Grizzly has a good rail system as well, but I think that the Ridgid one looks like it’d suit my needs better.

11. BJN says:

The video was a worthwhile watch. A feature that got me to go for the Delta universal stand vs. the similarly priced Ridgid wheeled stand is that the Delta’s mounting sytem works with a benchtop planes as well as with miter saws. This is a two-fer for me so it’s a better buy.

12. Freda M. Phillips says:

It’s a great stand, steady and reliable however it’s not as easy as the notes indicate to move the saw in order to take advantage of the stops. I have the 12″ compound mitre saw and it is a heavy beast; too heavy to move on a whim. The saw and stand are a great combination.