post-2x4bench.jpg

Here’s an idea for the unambitious realistic among us: sturdy plastic brackets that reduce shelf-building to point-and-drool simplicity.  Just add two-by-fours cut to whatever length you like, and the ShelfLinks connect ’em together into a basic shelving system.

The ShelfLinks system is designed to create 16″ deep shelves — the most common shelf size in garages and shops — but you can place two together to make a 32″ deep work bench.  It consists of four zinc-coated components: ShelfLinks, WorkBench Legs, Sawhorse connectors, and Firewood Rack connectors.  You can combine these in creative ways to make all sorts of crazy storage setups.  Check out the photos on the site (link below) for some finished products ideas — some of which look pretty slick!

Street pricing varies based on your application, but think cheap: for example, a six-pack of Shelf-Links starts around $30.  Finley, the manufacturer, also makes similar components to simplify deck, outdoor structure, and outdoor furniture construction — and offers project-specific kits in eacy type.

ShelfLinks are made in Pennsylvania and carry a lifetime warranty.

2x4Basics ShelfLinks [Finley Products, Inc.]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s this?]

9 Responses to Made in the USA: Build Shelves The Lazy Way — Easily!

1. Stuey says:

These would make for a wonderful wedding or birthday present.

*cough* HINT HINT HINT *cough*

2. shawn says:

These are extremely cool. As someone who has more vision than ambition, & more stuff than storage this should work out very good for me. I am going to get some of these, to replace my first really bad attempt at making some shelves. What I like most about them is that if you move, you just take out the screws, & you have a stack of 2x4s & a bunch of these shelf pieces, so you can make a custom setup at your new house easily. I might also build the kids furniture out of these, since they will just destroy everything anyway. 2×4’s are cheap. Then when they move out on there own, I can reclaim the pieces for garage storage, & stuff.

3. Chris Byrne says:

I’ve been thinking about their shed kits for a storage shed for about a year now… I need a shed big enough that I can work in it, but haven’t had the budget to build one.

If I use one of the 2X4 basics kits I can get the shed done for about 2/3 what stick building it the way I want to would cost… that means it would actually get done some time in the next few months rather than in a year or more when I have the budget.

The problem I have is, making a 10’x22′ structure with all 2×4 framing on 24″ centers just seems like a bad idea to me. If I were stick building it by hand I’d use 2×6 floor joists, rafters, and ridge beams; and I’d frame on 16″ centers for all but the rafters.

If I were just going for a small storage shed, I’d have no hesitation. The kit, 4 sheets of cheap plywood decking, 8 sheets of plywood siding, 24 2x4s, a couple rolls of tarpaper and a square of cheap shingles, and you’re good to go with a 7’x8′ shed for about $500. That’s about $300 less than a pre-fab would run you, and it would be better built.

Doing what they suggest and tripling up on kits to go to 10×22 though… it just seems understructured.

Maybe if I bought 4 of the kits and moved everything to 16″ centers; but I’d still be worried about the joist strength under the weight of a cabinet saw etc… and the long ridge beams.

As it is, I’m planning on building a 12×16 shed, framed as I describe above; then sheeting the walls and insulating with spray in foam and a vapor barrier in case I want to put a shop cooler in.

4. Okay, a shed with insulation and a vapor barrier? I love the smell of over-engineering in the morning! Chris, it sounds like you should be looking at Simpson Strong-Tie brackets: http://www.strongtie.com

5. Brau says:

The design of the bottom is okay, but the top? I’m sorry but those 2x4s will sag like an old nag very quickly. I might also add that all the supplies shown here could build this worktable *without* the prefabbed corners and probably better supported.

6. Ken says:

It seems like a good idea.But its kind of pricey for 10 pieces of plastic.

7. Ken says:

Another thing you can’t buy just the legs for the bench.

8. sean says:

The image in not just the shelflinks product, but the “workbench legs” product with a set of shelflinks built on top.

9. Stuey says:

Headsup – they have a standalone shelf kit that just went on sale as part of Amazon’s Friday sale.

$20 for 6 end pieces (3 shelves). The typical price was $30 which I think is a bit high. But for this price, one can build a 6 shelf unit for $40, a bit less than any readily avaialble steel or plastic unit even after the cost of wood.