post-shopcrane.jpg

There’s another name for engine hoists that indicates their wider utility: shop cranes.  TM reader Monty writes: “I have a bad back, so I use my engine hoist/shop crane in my woodworking shop to move equipment and projects.”

So do we, Monty!  We’ve used ours to move heavy objects around the shop and even as a Hulk-sized “third hand.”  Though we’re too cheap to give up our otherwise-perfectly-good model, many manufacturers now offer fold-up types that store easy in the shop.  Some even offer air-hydraulic models.  We wish we had one!

Folding Shop Cranes [Google Products]
Air-Hydraulic Via Amazon [What’s this?]

9 Responses to Tip: Engine Hoists Aren’t Just For Engines

1. PeterP says:

I picked up a shop crane on Craigslist a while back and I love it. I’ve used it to work on my motorcycle, lift the entire rear end of a car (don’t ask), and of course pull the engine and transmission from the car i’m restoring. If you’ve got the space, get one!

2. Rob says:

used at the local electrical wholesaler to mount large reals on the wire rack

3. Old Donn says:

It’s handy to have one if you’ve got a late model Pontiac. In order to change the serpentine belt, the right upper motor mount has to be removed. The engine’s got to be supported, (obviously). The easiest way is with an engine hoist thru the two removal loops on top of the engine.

4. Jeremy says:

For the guys that work on old trucks and such… there is a contraption that you can have built that attaches on the end to lift the truck cab off by yourself. Very handy indeed.

5. fabmandan says:

I’ve used mine to pull bushes out of my yard. Much easier than digging.

6. Fletcher says:

I’ve used mine to lift the entire front end of a car to make transmission removal easier. Also used it when I had a motorcycle project whose rear wheel wasn’t attached (rear was supported by a center stand.) Used the hoist to pick it up and move it elsewhere (recently sold it because I spent more time moving it out of the way than working on it.)

7. TL says:

My father HATES working on cars, but after he saw me using to swap engines he decided that it’s real use is for moving shrubs and trees.

8. Paul Lapczynski says:

I used mine to pull my truck bed. It was a lot easier changing fuel pumps that way.

9. Brad says:

Hey! Yer I also found an engine hoist on craigslist! But I don’t think my experience was as good as yours! Mine had some rust that was on the inside and hard to see… only lasted a about a year and I had to throw it!