post-bench.jpg

As readers told us, Toolmongers build their own workbenches (unless they’re rich).  TM reader and photo pool member Schnaars posted this photo of his home-built basic workbench which meets all our standards for a basic unit: functional, inexpensive, and practical.  Good stuff!

Schnaars also put together a how-to on Instructables with all the details you’d need to duplicate this (or build something similar) on your own.

FYI: we’re putting together a Toolmonger group on Instructables, too, and hope to have it going this week or next.  Look for an announcement soon!

If you’ve got a moment (and haven’t done so already), sign up for a free account with Flickr, join the Toolmonger group, and post photos of your latest project, tool, or even some pics of your shop to the pool.  We’ll keep an eye out for ’em in the ever-updating center sidebar here on TM.

The Toolmonger Photo Pool [Flickr]

7 Responses to From The Flickr Pool: A Good Basic Workbench

1. Sweet, guys. Thanks for the kudos.

2. Stuey says:

The table looks pretty good!

I bookmarked the instructable – this will be the very first project I’ll attempt when I move into a house in hopefully 3 years or so.

3. Old Donn says:

It’s comforting to see at least one other guy’s bench is covered with clutter like mine. Benches are great, but as shown above, they become a magnet for stuff.

4. Kristen says:

When I was growing up my dad’s tool bench looked a lot like this. I loved his tool bench it was such a dad place. Now, I am married to a guy that does not work much with tools. I am the one who works with the tools mostly. I wish I had any kind of bench in our garage. Even one like this would be awesome…just like my dad’s.

5. Leslie says:

This week or next is “clear out and organize garage” time, and I had been considering making a new workbench. These plans are well written, give some great tips (marking the line for the lower braces before putting it together, for example) and I’ll be using them as a guide when I build my new workbench! Thanks, Scott!

6. Chris Byrne says:

We definitely need to do a “show us your bench” type feature. I just uploaded the pics of my benches and worktables to the flickr pool.

7. manny says:

keep your toolbench clean. you’ll be glad you got into that habit. trust me.