post-bitset.jpg

This $6 bit set from Harbor Freight includes many of the crazy bits you only rarely use — like hollow hex, Pozi, hollow-tip Torx, and splined — but have to have when the need arises.  As far as I’m concerned, that’s one of the prime applications for cheap-ass tools.

Check out HF’s site for the details, but this set includes a wide variety of odd bits — even a “Y-design hook-hanging bit.”

100-Piece Security Bit Set [Harbor Freight]

Russell adds in comments: “These small bits are always such a pain to deal with — falling out of the chuck and what-have-you.”  He recommends this set [what’s this?] from Amazon.

21 Responses to Cheap-Ass Tools: A 100-Piece Security Bit Set For $6

1. ryan says:

my it department started putting hollow-tip Torx screws on our PC’s. After about 2 months of needed to reseat video cards/ram etc, they sent us a bit to take off the screws ourselves…

2. Russell says:

These small bits are always such a pain to deal with (falling out of the chuck, whathaveyou)

This is what I have:
    Northern Industrial Tools (Vanadium) Security Drill Bit Set – 32 Piece

3. Rick says:

I’ve got this HF Special – and I’ve used it on a couple of occasions..
    Russell is right though, if you’re going to be using them frequently get a better set.. but for the times I’ll need it – this was fine.

4. Pat says:

I have a similar set & had a look at these the last time I was in HF.

The quality is pretty iffy, so I have found that a lot of the bits don’t fit quite right & are therefore prone to rounding, stripping etc.

I think you would be better off spending a few $ more on a higher quality set, even if it is smaller – some of these bits I have never seen, let alone needed.

I would pass on this one.

5. Toolaremia says:

Maybe more to the point is why do manufacturers even bother with “security” screws? They are about as secure as a screen door since EVERYBODY sells the drivers now. What’s the point? It just increases their costs and pisses-off warranty-voiders like me.

6. JK says:

Pat: I think the point is, $6 is cheap insurance to have that bit that you’ve never seen before onhand and ready to use if you suddenly need it.

7. l_bilyk says:

I have one of these… very usefull the odd time you have an odd fastner

8. Nick Carter says:

My question is: Are the “tri-wing” bits in that set the ones that work with those triangular socket head screws found in (mostly) toys? Or are tri-wing something else?

9. Chris says:

Not sure how many non-American readers there are of this site, but I picked up a set very similar to this (a bit smaller, and in a much more convenient carrying case) at Dick Smith’s in Australia when I was there seven years back. I think it was about $5 Australian at the time, which worked out to be around US$3 with the exchange rate.

10. Ian says:

As cheap as they are, there’s really no reason not to buy it. I was in there the other day and noticed a smaller security bit set (maybe 32 pieces or so) for only $3 that I scooped up.

11. Michael B says:

I picked up this set at the sidewalk sale a while back, It has come in handy several times. I have not had the problems others have mentioned about quality – the bits have been a perfect fit for my uses so far. I agree that it is nice to have as insurance for when the odd fastener comes along, I know I’ll have the bit.
    Still have not figured out where to use the ‘Y’ shaped bit at the top of the set.

12. Jon says:

The “Y” shaped bit is for eye hole screws. I’ve seen a set like this at my local Ace hardware. I can’t remember how much it costs, but I believe it was more than $6.

13. Brau says:

I have to agree that this is a good deal because I have a similar one and it has come in very handy a number of times. Quality is low, but if I find I need a certain bit more often, then I just buy a quality one. Also, I have no qualms lending this kit out simply because of the price.

14. Chris Ball says:

RE: Tri-wing / Toy Screws

Nope, the tri-wing driver kindof looks like a regular philips with the blades scewed off at a funny angle if that makes any sense.

I have never seen the triangle drivers for toys anywhere I have looked and asked around but no luck, I have been meaning to make one out of an old crappy screwdriver on the bench grinder (shouldn’t be hard) but haven’t gotten around to it.

15. Clinton says:

My only issue with a set like this is that manufacturers always love to recess the security screws way back into the plastic molds and you can’t get a bit driver shaft down into the hole because they make the recess only wide enough for the screw. I’d gladly pay a premium for a set with 6″ shafts on the bits.
    As a security professional I must say that I run into many “security bits” in my line of work and almost universally (with the ones I run into frequently) you can usually get them to unscrew if you have a wide variety of flat blade screwdrivers that you don’t mind messing up the tips of. Of course sometimes they’re just cranked down too hard and you can’t impart enough torque with a flat blade- at which point, here comes the drill. Have yet to find a security screw/bolt that won’t come out when I hit it with a reverse twist drill bit.

16. Darren says:

I hate to admit but I am a cheap-ass tool fan. I have plenty of high-priced tools but I enjoy shopping HF and other discount tools stores to find the odd tools like this set and that you may only need on occassion. For everyday tools I buy quality but for single or limited used tools I have to admit I like cheap-ass tools.

17. Teacher says:

Picked this set up at the Cummins junk sale recently. Same set, just in a blue plastic case.

18. Paul Allen says:

If you want better quality try the Wiha 71990 or 71991 39 Piece Sets with Drive Handle at: http://www.wihatools.com/700seri/719collect.htm

19. Eric Mockler says:

I have a different set, in a small rubber case. I find it interesting that the only REALLY secure screw is used in toys.

20. Brad Justinen says:

I picked up one of these sets at HF today for $8.

YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE HIGH NOT TO HAND OVER $8 FOR THIS……

21. Leo says:

For 6 bucks, you cant go wrong what so ever. This has paid for itself many times over. Obviously I need a good quality tool for my common uses, but I can think of alot of other tools id rather spend more cash on than odd bits, that I will only use sparingly… Such as brad said, you do have to be high not to pick this up. Great insurance item to have handy “when” needed….