post-flickrcrib.jpg

TM reader and photo pool member Swamp0808 — that’s him with his father in the picture) posted this photo (and others) of a special crib he made for a wheelchair-bound cousin who had trouble leaning over a regular crib to pick up the baby.  He started with an existing crib, then added a ton of modifications to come up with what you see above.  Check out the Toolmonger photo pool for lots more pictures of the build, as well as comments on each one describing the work.

If you have the time, spin over to Flickr, sign up, join the Toolmonger group, and add some of your photos to the TM pool.  We’d love to see your latest tools, projects, or even some pics of your shop.

Note: Have all these photos of everyone’s work inspired you to spend more time in the shop lately?  They have for me.  Every time I think, “I’m too busy for that,” I take a look at the photo pool and get excited and inspired all over again.

The Toolmonger Photo Pool [Flickr]

7 Responses to From The Flickr Pool: A Beautiful Wheelchair-Accessible Crib

1. Rick says:

I saw this earlier this week – great project.. and it looks like they thought of everything… Even have piano hinges on the doors (so as not to pinch little fingers) instead of the more common double hinge (one at top and one at bottom) like you see on most closet doors – on which this seems to be based – at least the open/close mechanism. My wife would love this.. she’s complaining because now that our 14 month old is a bit older/taller we’ve had to lower the crib all the way down. Having the crib at this height would be great.. no leaning over. But then I would remind her to be thankful she can lean over.

So what happens when the kid is old enough to climb over the rails? I still have scars from when I figured that one out.

2. Leslie says:

Beautiful work. As Rick just implied, even those of us who aren’t in wheelchairs could benefit from some serious redesign on the classic crib.

(this written by someone whose back is fiercely complaining right now from 20 minutes of pat/hum/pat/hum, bending over a crib with my cranky overtired teething grandbaby)

And Rick, I know what you’re saying about what to do when the kid is old enough to climb over the rails. I guess the appropriate answer is a toddler bed, but I’ve known plenty of kids who still need more containment than that. Unfortunately, for every person who think it’s shocking and demeaning to have a toddler attached to a “leash”/strap so that s/he can have some freedom to roam without risking running into traffic or disappearing intoa crowd, there will be fifty who would consider it inhumane to put a top on a crib to keep a monkey-baby (like my granddaughter!) from climbing out. She can’t – yet. But lord knows she tries hard enough, and she can’t even walk yet!

3. Andrew(Swamp) says:

So we had to take out the crib when Sam got too big and started acting like he was going to climb out. We considered rigging up an additional fence around the top up to the ceiling, but he was doing well and was able to transition to a toddler bed with a smaller rail. Piano hinges was Pop’s idea and they worked really well. We had to improvise a slider in the track system and ended up with a plastic “pin” that fit into the bottom rail at the end of each door.

Thanks for the comments, we searched the internets for a while to see if there were any other crib ideas out there for wheelchair access and only found really expensive stuff.

We used a regular crib and the rail off an old crib to work this together, it was a lot of fun figuring out the details and putting it together.

Sam’s parents actually painted a tree on the wall behind the crib for a great treehouse effect.

4. David says:

Thank you for taking this. Great message on your site. I was studying your blog posting and I have bookmark your blog already.

5. Ike says:

Do you still have this crib. My wife and I are looking for something exactly like this. I know nothing about wood work or I would try to build one myself. Please email me and let me know if another can be made, or if you can send mod directions (what you bought to start off with and what you did to it to make it better). Any help is appreciated.

6. Thomas Lewis says:

He should produce it in small quantities,their is so much demand ,but little in the way of products for the disabled.A little reminder,665 confirmed child deaths in America last year,caused by bumpers[I see them in the crib].I guess that’s acceptable,those in the know will tell you point blank,don’t buy them.Please take my advice and pass it on.Do not buy or use bumper’s in a crib,there are a few alternatives in the way of sleep wear,that are 100 percent safe.

7. Donna says:

Is there a chance to get the directions to make this crib? Wheelchair accessible cribs are not easy to find and this is beautiful! We would like to help our daughter find one that will work for her and her husband who are having their first child. Please send me any info that you can! Thank you so much, Donna