autosport oil extractor

I spotted this in a tatty copy of SkyMall on my last fight, and I’m thinking about purchasing one, if for no other reason than to cut down on the oil stains on my driveway.  Products like the $500 transfer tanker interested me, but $500 buys a lot of oil changes.  This one sells for just $65.

A few pumps create a vacuum to extract the oil from the pan via the dipstick.  As readers commented on the tanker, Mercedes dealers use a similar (but more expensive, of course) system to service their cars.  The extractor holds a maximum of 6.5 liters (7 quarts) — large enough for most cars and some trucks.

It’s also available for the same price from AutoSport directly as well as a variety of other vendors.

Autosport Oil Extractor [AutoSport]
Autosport Oil Extractor [SkyMall]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

12 Responses to Dealmonger: A $65 Oil Extractor

1. l_bilyk says:

These are really usefull when you don’t want to just drain the oil or drop the trans pan! Very good tool to have

2. jgb says:

Got one by Mityvac and have found numerous uses for it, but I don’t change my oil with it. I’m paranoid that it won’t get as much dirt out of the pan as letting the hot oil flow out the drain plug. Most recently I used it to empty my parts washer to get ready to move. It was also invaluable in filling a VW auto transmission which you must fill through a bottom plug.

3. jgb says:

Just realized that one is only an extractor. They Mityvac I got was about the same price and will also dispense. http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7201-Fluid-Evacuator-Plus/dp/B0002SR7TC/ref=sr_1_1/103-6282749-4414236?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1181881837&sr=8-1

4. Ivan says:

It’s a nice idea but when you drain the oil via the plug, it also drains the sludge as well. I think after 100K, there will be definitely a liner of dirt.
    If you check out the oil pan, you noticed that there are a lot of bumps or cavities in. Do you honestly think that you can get ALL the oil out with suction?

5. Rick says:

I have the Topsider (I think that’s the name) – same idea was developed for boat owners to change their oil… (Can’t exact jack on up and drain the oil the normal way can you?)

I’ve used it exactly once for its intended purpose. Had it for at least 5 years. Problem is on my wife’s Trailblazer, it’s so easy to get underneath the car because it’s higher – and the filter is only accessible from below.
    On my BMW, which has the filter accessible from above and you do need to jack it up to drain the oil (especially now that it’s lowered) it would come in handy at least every other change to do it from above.. Problem is the dipstick tube on mine is too narrow to allow the little hose from the topsider in. BAH..

6. Yuppers says:

You might be able to build something for cheaper using this air vacuum pump from HB

7. KaiserM715 says:

This seems like it would be great for changing out an automatic transmission filter. Most tranny pans these days do not come with drain plugs, so removing the pan results in an ATF bath — no fun at all 🙁 With this thing you could suck it dry and then pull the pan.

8. Apparently this is the way Mercedes Tech change the oil in all their cars. I wonder my self about the sludge in the bottom.

9. The oil’s not sitting still long enough for sludge to settle out, is it? Maybe when the engine’s off, but within moments of starting I’d expect everything to be pretty evenly mixed again.

Particulate debris ends up in the filter, anyway. And I don’t see how one of these extractors would cut down on the mess when removing the filter, which is inevitably messier than removing the drain plug. I remain unconvinced.

10. Harry says:

What these extractors are great for (especially the pneumatic model) is removing fluids before component replacement. You can drain power steering pump reserviors, cooling systems before doing a water pump, thermostat, hoses, or an intake manifold. I would shop around though as I paid less than $80 for the Mityvac pneumatic model. I use mine daily at work and it has proven to be versatile and durable.

11. Curt says:

Mercedes cars are designed for pulling the oil up but get this you DON’T stick the tube from the extractor all the way to the bottom. The dipstick tube already goes all the way down so you just need a nice tight seal to that.
    If you’re using a good quality oil there should be no sludge deposits anywhere in the engine. The trick to getting a nice clean change is to get the engine good and warm so the oil has circulated and the the crud is all in suspension in the oil. Thats one part of the oil’s job, suspend the crud and carry it too the filter. If your oil can’t do that you’ve either got bad oil or too much crud.

Anyway the blue Topsider is only $40… I use my shopvac to pull vacuum on it so I don’t have to pump like a madman, just put the shopvac on, sit back with a coldone and let ‘er rip.
    Mercedes puts the filter up on top where you can get it without making a mess. My Dodge Dakota has to have about the worst filter on the planet to get at… No wait, I did a Mazda 323 once, that one was pretty bad.

12. Tony D says:

can one obtain the leather piston that this unit uses ??