iceroadtruckers.jpg

Since Discovery isn’t giving us much new automotive content and Tank Overhaul consists of only four freakin’ episodes, I’ve been forced to look elsewhere for TV programming to pass the time between sleep and shop.  Enter the History channel, which looks to be stepping up with Ice Road Truckers.

For those of you who don’t know about these guys and what they do, its totally sweet: think Alaska and fully loaded 18 wheelers driving on cracking sheets of ice.  Forget crabby fisherman — these guys have the right stuff.  The season premieres on June 17th (on the History channel), so set the TiVos if you got ’em.

Ice Road Truckers [History Channel]

9 Responses to Ice Road Truckers Are On The Way

1. Scraper says:

I saw a show on these guys a few years ago and it made me regret giving up on my childhood dream of being a long-haul trucker. These guys are amazing!

2. Brad says:

“I think that I read somewhere that the driving season is getting shorter and more dangerous because of global warming.”

At least that’s what the left wing eco-friendly green freaks would have you believe! 😉 J/K Seriously though, that takes some stones to do. Can’t imagine listening to the “road” crack and groan under the weight of my vehicle.

3. Waylan says:

While on a caribou hunting trip, my father-in-law drove his pickup on one of those roads in Northern Canada a few years back . He said the scariest part was passing one of those larger-than-we’ve-ever-seen trucks and hearing the cracks and groans below. He really appreciated the extra-wide roads to stay as far away as possible. Of course, without a truck nearby, he felt perfectly safe knowing he weighed significantly less. If the ice could hold them, it certainly could hold him. Although I’m not a hunter, I would’ve liked to go, just for that.

4. Ken says:

There was an article in I think Popular Science or Popular Mechanics about the ice trucks.In 2006 the ice did not stay frozen long enough and the 600,000 lbs of supplies had to be airlifted.

5. Abe says:

My younger brothers next assignment takes him across the ice road. His coworkers told him that the temperature has to get below -10F for it to be considered safe to cross. That’s pretty cold for a guy who’s used to working in Texas.

6. jeff says:

Tivo set. This show looks awesome. If anyone checked out the videos on the History Channel’s mini-site and heard the temps they were talking about and thought, “that’s in degrees celcius…” Well, -40C is equal to -40F.

7. zaw says:

Mine is not showing up the season pass option but I manually choose to record the 2 epd I found in search.

8. Doug says:

Great show ! I’ve been watching vid clips on the history channel.com site some really great footage! I was hoping the show would have more info on the Canadian Diamond mines themselves. The Debeers Snap lake project is their first venture outside of Africa and supposedly one of the largest underground mines in the world. So far I’ve only seen trucks running to the operations in Yellowknife and nothing to De Beers site at Snap Lake? I here the temps underground are about 52-58 degree which would’nt be bad at all.

9. just wondering how to get a application for the comming year.