post-maxlock.jpg

Take a standard 10″ adjustable wrench and cross it with a set of locking pliers, and you’ve got Stanley’s new product: the MaxGrip locking adjustable wrench.  As you might imagine, the locking portion of the tool provides a bit of extra force to help keep the jaws attached to the fastener.

The question is, of course, do these two great tools work together like peanut butter and chocolate or like ice cream and brown gravy?  We’re looking forward to putting our grubby hands on a set to try ’em out, but in the meantime we’ll just have to speculate.

I’d imagine the locking feature would help quite a bit with basic plumbing tasks; it’d be handy for the wrench to stay put.  I don’t use my adjustable a lot for automotive work, but come to think of it, it’d probably serve the same purpose there.

Look for more when we schedule a hands-on with these.  Street pricing starts around $20.

MaxGrip Locking Adjustable Wrench [Stanley]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s this?]

8 Responses to Adjustable Wrench + Locking Pliers = Stanley’s MaxGrip

1. Randy says:

I really like the look of these. My biggest complaint with adjustable wrenches is that they tend to work loose and have to be reset all the time. A locking mechanism could really make them into a useful and versatile tool for more than just plumbing and casual wrench turning/bolt holding.

Compared to the B&D Autowrench, these look like gold.

2. JK says:

I may be a time-traveller or something, but I already have one of these locking/adjustable guys in my tool chest, and I love it. I have no clue what brand it is. I’ll check when I get home from work.

3. Steve Thompson says:

This looks like a really good idea. Ice cream and gravy….mmmmmmm….

4. Hunter says:

I actually bought the 10″ wrench back when Amazon was having the Buy 3 Get 1 Free deal several months ago. I’ve used it several times, and it is nice to have the locking keep the thumbwheel from loosening on its own. However, as the jaws on the wrench are straight and smooth, the locking action isn’t really leveraged enough to always keep the wrench from falling off when it’s hanging straight down. It’s pretty heavy. I’d still recommend it, but it’s not quite like a good locking plier.

5. John Laur says:

I had written a post about how I thought the design was flawed then I went back and looked … seems the pressure from the lock mechanism is applied onto the adjustment screw the pressure from which clamps the jaws down tightly on the bolt or whatever it is you are wrenching on..

Seems like a great way to destroy the adjustment screw in there to me but maybe it holds up?

6. David says:

I’m not sure, but I think I hear angels singing.

Its like a Conan bit – “If they made it: Vise Grip and Crescent Wrench”

7. Brau says:

I actually would like to try out one of these.

8. i like the tool ihave one fault when the linkage wares down it looses griping power i cant find a way to correct it??