post-basementshop.jpg

TM reader milomingo posted this photo of his very well-organized (and well used) basement shop.  (Well, I’m assuming it’s a basement shop based on the ceiling and high window.  In Texas we don’t have basements, so I don’t have a lot of experience to go on.)  Hopefully he’ll stop by and tell us a little bit more about it — and the projects taht are visible in the photo — in comments!

If you get a chance, we’d love to see a picture of your shop as well.  It’s easy to join the photo pool and add your pictures.  Plus, once you join you can also comment on the pictures directly.  And if you don’t want to wait for us to post them here on the blog, look over in the center sidebar for some of the most recent pool photos.

Toolmonger’s Photo Pool [Flickr]

6 Responses to From The Flickr Pool: A Well-Organized Basement Shop

1. Steve Thompson says:

I want. I hate you.

Ok, just jealous. Although, here in Los Angeles, my driveway makes a pretty good shop most of the year. The garage is mostly for tool storage. Having everything on rolling stands sort of sucks tho.

2. Don says:

That is great. Lots of headroom. In my basment shop I have to duck under ducts every now and then.

3. Ray says:

Judging by the size of the beams and the ceiling height I would say that this is some sort of commercial building (If it is a basement I’d love he see the house!) Still a nice shop however!

The post brings to mind a question I’ve had for some time. Maybe the tool monger guys can provide a suitable answer. Why don’t homes “Out West” have basements as general rule?

As I write this I am sitting in the Pocono Mountains of PA (an area not blessed with deep well drained soil) laying out a subdivision of 200 homes each of which will have a basement, preferably walkout. This will required a fair amount of earthwork and some homes will have have of their basement walls half out of the ground but the buyers expect basments. So I suspect that the answer has more to do with cultural reasons (i.e. What the buyer/builder expects in a given region) than engineering or geology. Anyone have any thoughts.

4. Sean O'Hara says:

Well I know that here in our corner of Texas there’s bedrock about 3 to 6 feet down so people here just got used to not having basements. The expense to make one was way too high when you could just make more house on top of the dirt for less.

However out in New Jersey real estate is so expensive the best way to get more house is to build up or down. So as a result, a lot of homes have an awesome basement that is sometimes nicer than the house above it. I think you hit it on the head when you said regional/cultural expectations. That’s my two cents anyway.

5. Tim Wildeboer says:

In the North a basement is more about getting the foundation below the Frost line. Generally everything within 4′ of the surface is subject to freezing. Things like water pipes need to be deeper then 4′.
    The South and West don’t get ground freezing to the same depth.

Although the basement does make a great place for a shop.

6. Perry Jones says:

In my part of the Southeast the water table is a big reason we don’t usually have basements. You’ll hit water around 3 feet down, and in some places I’ve hit water just 1 foot down.