post-microsaw.jpg

Joel writes: “This takes the ‘contractor saw’ to a new level of portability.  You won’t be using it to rip plywood sheets down to size, but it’d be great for toy makers and that sort of thing.”  Indeed!  To put things into perspective, this micro-saw features a 4″ carbide blade.

It’s powered by a 1/8 HP 110V motor spinning at 4,500 RPM.  The arbor is 1/2″ and the table measures 7-1/2″ x 5-1/2″.  It’s targeted at modelmakers and toy hobbyists, and it looks like it’d be perfect for that application.  We’ve been doing some auto interior work in the TM shop recently, and we’ve been making a lot of little bits and supports out of 1/4″ plywood.  This would be handy for that kind of work, too.

And at just $45 — including two blades — we might just grab one to try it out.

Note: Check out this eBay auction for a Proxxon model that tends more toward the pro end of these tools.  Its Buy It Now price is $350.

4″ Mighty-Micro Table Saw [Penn State Industries]

8 Responses to A Micro Table Saw For Modelmakers

1. Pat says:

I saw one of these at HF the other day as well. Didn’t pay too much attention to it, but an alternative to getting one online.

2. l_bilyk says:

I think you may be better off with a tabletop bandsaw

3. nrChris says:

The one from HF, and it appears the same with this one, blade height is set by moving the table up and down rather than the arbor / blade assembly.

4. Jim says:

I remember the first time I saw one of these, I thought to myself “Look, it’s baby’s first table saw!”.

5. Evan N. says:

HF also has a miniature chop saw. I bet these would be good for model train sets or model airplanes–seems like the right tool for some job. The chop saw would do picture frames well. I bet sometimes a 12″, laser guided compound slide saw is too much saw.

6. F451 says:

Years ago Dremel made a 4″ hobby table saw of which I still own. It was not inexpensive for its day, but I built architectural models as means of paying for college and it paid-off handsomely. The Dremel table saw runs at 10,000 rpms. These saws can be extremely dangerous as it is far too easy to think they are toys—which they are not. And since you are working with even smaller proportions, you need to be extra careful. All this being said; I would not opt for the $45 table saw in this article for many reasons. If you truly want tools to properly meet this intricate level of precision, and more important—safety, go with these: Bynes.

7. Bowen says:

Oh man, I want and need one of these. As a modelmaker, this thing would be perfect for my limited workspace. The thickest board I need to cut is 15-20mm, so a full size table saw (even if I had the space for one) would be completely wasted…..

8. Got One says:

I bought one of these and it’s really bad. The motor is underpowered for any kind of use. It will bog down to a complete stop cutting a popsicle stick! Save your money.