post-beersup.jpg

We’d like to give a big thumbs (and beers) up to Toolmonger reader and photo pool member butterjug2000 who posted this awesome picture of his mini stuffed full of 2x4s.  We’ve been doing this kind of stuff for years, and totally respect those who don’t let the lack of a pickup stop them from getting their projects on.

A while back Sean and I had to bring back some garage door tracks in his PT Cruiser, and we accomplished it pretty much the same way as in the photo, differing only in that we used the side window instead of a sunroof.  The only downside: it was cold as hell and we froze on the way home.  But the garage door got fixed.

(Yes, we have a truck.  But we didn’t always.  And we didn’t that day, either.)

More Cool Photos From The TM Photo Pool [Flickr]

20 Responses to From The Flickr Pool: Carrying Lumber Without A Truck

1. Adam says:

Reminds me of this spring. So far I have moved a 12′ Oak tree, 2x6x10 lumber, 10′ lengths of gutter and facia board and many many bags of soil/mulch/gravel. All in a nissan altima.

Gotta love those fold down seats (and yes I gotta get a truck!)

2. Gene says:

I use my VW Golf as a truck. The most awkward load was some 16′ rebar (very floppy on the ends). Another time I had the guy at the lumber yard ran in to get his camera and take a picture because his buddies wouldn’t believe the load of 5/8″ plywood, et al, that I had on top of the car.

3. Mike R says:

What is with the VW guys and putting lumber on top of their cars?

4. Rick says:

Hah.. I’ve got a picture of my VW Golf with a couple of 4×8 sheets of 3/4″ MDF ripped lengthwise, and a bunch of 2x4s – just added it to the toolmonger flickr pool.

I’m proud I pulled it off without having any windows or doors open and the sunroof even closed.

5. Pat says:

Well, I don’t have any photos, but, I can confirm that you can fit an 8 foot ladder in a Miata. Pretty simple really, drop the top, and feed it into the passenger seat, it only extends a very small way past the back of the car. Though I am not sure what caused the most confusion. Driving a Miata with an 8 foot ladder in the passenger seat, or driving a Miata with the top down in Minnesota in January.

Our other vehicle is the sport utility vehicle, with an emphasis on the sport. A Porsche 944. Drop the back seats, and you can fit 8×4 sheet of ply and 12 foot lengths of 4×2 in that one, though they do stick out the back a little. Though when my wife saw what I brought home in her car, she suggested that next time I would be best to borrow our neighbours van. Oops!

And I will admit, I don’t drive far or quickly with these loads.

6. Larry Sanata says:

Long before giving a 1973 MGB to our son, my wife and I used the car in place of a tractor at our 2-acre home in Pennsylvania. We removed the boot — trunk lid for those who don’t own English cars — and carried everything from picks and shovels to dirt and rocks. We also used the car to pull stumps and bushes from the yard.

A few years later, we restored the trusty B, which our son still owns and cherishes today. I can’t help but think the other English cars in our collection were kind of jealous of the ’73 in its “hayday.”

7. Steve Thompson says:

Hey! That’s my MINI. Thanks for the props. You should have seen the HD parking lot guys staring at me as I wheeled to the MINI with 10 2×4’s. People are amazed at what you can fit in there.

8. Too bad I don’t have a photo of my 73′ cutlass ragtop with 3 6’x8′ fence panels, a half dozen 10′ 4x4s and a 12ft step ladder in the back seat after I first bought my house.

9. ned.ludd says:

+=1 for the VW golf/lumber ferry here. My current workbench was designed to fit in the back of my ’96 mkIII, otherwise I’d have had no way to get it home from the workshop without renting a larger vehicle.

10. Rick says:

4 out of 10 Toolmongers drive (or drove) VWs… Interesting demographic there.

I wonder if the fact we like to fix stuff is why we drive VWs, or if we like to fix stuff because we got so much experience doing so with our VWs 🙂

11. My trusty Toyota Matrix (same as the Pontiac Vibe) has carried everything I’ve asked it to, including couches, lumber, an entire outdoor sales exhibit (tent, tables, merchandise, cooler, crew), 7-foot aluminum relay racks (two at once, fully assembled), my 7-foot stepladder, and sometimes just four or five six-foot-something humans.

What I love is the profusion of hardpoints and sliding tiedowns inside, which make it easy to secure oddly-shaped loads. I don’t go anywhere unless I’m confident that I can stop and corner hard, without the load going through a window or me.

12. Ivan says:

My trusty old Chevy Tracker is the truck of my dreams. So far we have carried from all the studs, insulation, tiles and all for my basement remodeling. Though the front wheels have skidded up a little, it’s amazing what a can-do or should I say can-load attitude brings, with the entire fact that we still get a fine MPG compared to the trucks.

It’s amazing how much you can fit, if you really want to.
    I salute you my fellow handymen!

13. nrChris says:

My wife still believes that our third child was the cause of our recent Chrysler Town and Country purchase. She has noted, however, that I only borrow it when I need to make a trip to the big box for plywood and lumber.

14. Eli says:

Not only that, but who else RACES their pick me up. If you look close, you can see the number 1 on the side of his mini. She’s named “MINI KNEIVEL”. I wouldn’t s@#t you, I’ve seen his helmet.

15. Leslie says:

I’m genuinely impressed. These stories are inspiring to me since I have been torn about losing the ability to haul large amounts of stuff if I trade in my minivan for a mini-convertable. Or maybe I’ll just get the mini-convertable and a $1000 beater pick-up…

16. Gene says:

Whatever that load is, Joel, it looks a lot like a small coffin…

The roof rack makes all the difference for my Golf. Of course, with a big load on and going over some speed bumps I managed to bend the back bar a little.

But nothing like that Jetta at the IHOP.

17. joel says:

yeah it is a coffin… very long story. I will say it was empty.

It got my first double-take from a cop at the bridge tolls going into NYC though.

18. Chris K says:

I totally +1 the miata comment. You can fit all kinds of fun things if you don’t have one of those pesky roofs to worry about. I did the *exact* same thing with a ladder actually. (They make hitches for ’em too, but that’s no fun)

19. TL says:

My dad used to love to haul home 10′ lengths of PVC pipe in his first generation Miata. The trick was to have a passenger hold the pipe over their heads like we were jousting.